A new spring - where can I find one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
rich p said:
Our fishmonger is an expert on scales:wacko:

You mean he plays a tuna two...or he knows his onions when it comes to springs?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Mr Pig said:
Should the above fail, just bin it. You could buy a new spring but to be honest the cost and effort of tracking one down might well be a fair percentage of the cost of new scales.
You'll have to weigh up the pros and cons :wacko:

Night Train

Maker of Things
I usually go to RS Components for small packs of springs.

Speicher said:
BTW I also have a pen that needs putting back together. It is one of those where you put in new pencil leads, (yes, steady on at the back there), but a lead got stuck in the pencil, and it won't go back together.:sad:
You will need a needle or something similar that is about the same diameter as the lead and then push it up the tip to dislodge the stuck lead. Sometimes the lead breaks and a bit jams the clutch so you might need to unscrew the tip and clean it. Given your abilities so far I would leave that last task to someone who knows what they are doing.:smile:

Speicher said:
Also a saucepan lid handle came loose. So I thought I would tighten the screw, only to find I was unscrewing it, and then it won't screw back together again. :sad:
There is sometimes a loose captive nut that goes astray when the bolt is unscrewed. Otherwise the handle could have had a thread tapped into it that has now failed and stripped.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Thank you, Night Train, that is the very helpful answer I was looking for. I can now measure the spring and obtain ten, rather than ten thousand.

However, you seem to be casting aspertions on my pen mending skills?
I have in the past, mended someone's windscreen wiper, when they thought it had jammed. It just required gently jiggling by a gentle feminine hand, not heavy-handedly rotating. :smile:

I have untangled the most tangled of tangled necklaces, using the inestimable skills of patience and co-ordination. :sad:

You are right about the saucepan lid, it does not seem to have a corresponding screwising thingy in the lid. :sad: Loose captive nut, hmm I think there is one of those behind every most steering wheels. :smile:

Mr Pig

Speicher said:
Who is "him" in this example?

You're not male then?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Speicher said:
You are right about the saucepan lid, it does not seem to have a corresponding screwising thingy in the lid. ;) Loose captive nut, hmm I think there is one of those behind every most steering wheels. ;)

Very good!:biggrin:

I like the challenge of fixing stuff, like you do. I fixed my Mum's kitchen scales once, and I often tighten up pan handles and the like...

domtyler

Über Member
Arch said:
Very good!;)

I like the challenge of fixing stuff, like you do. I fixed my Mum's kitchen scales once, and I often tighten up pan handles and the like...

You're obviously not as potty as I thought! ;)

Night Train

Maker of Things
I'm another one for going around fixing things. Currently, when I am at M's house, I am adjusting her kitchen cupboard doors to get them to line up straight. It bugs me when they don't.

Top Bottom