A Newbie's Dilemma - what's your opinion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
simon the viking
Hi ianrauk and 400bhp your right I was thinking in car mode - the bridge you've highlighted is a footbridge with a cycle path, it is a bit out of the way for me as I'm coming down Branston road map but 10 mins cycling easily beats 10 mins walking and no law breaking so I will try it, just not tomorrow as its lower than St Peters Bridge and currently under a foot of water - I saw it on the way home.

Thanks Guys will let you know how it goes....

alicat

Legendary Member
Yes the footbridge is the one to use - used it many a time.

From a quick google I was going to suggest The Dingle (or whatever its called) might be worth checking out but it seems like folk are already suggesting that :thumbsup: You might be able to go down Watson Street to avoid a big detour, from the look of pics it looks a OK surface when not under water ;)
7364894.jpg

OP
OP
simon the viking
Hi folks, thanks very much for the time and effort looking at an alternative route. I had almost forgotten this route existed as I haven't used it for 20 years (since I had driving licence) using it tonight and coming out in town it only added 5 mins on when the water goes down I will be able to leave it halfway and use a path to Burton road. So thanks once again!

400bhp

Guru
Hi folks, thanks very much for the time and effort looking at an alternative route. I had almost forgotten this route existed as I haven't used it for 20 years (since I had driving licence) using it tonight and coming out in town it only added 5 mins on when the water goes down I will be able to leave it halfway and use a path to Burton road. So thanks once again!

We're sometimes here to help.:thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Good to hear it's a viable alternative for you.

OP
OP
simon the viking
New route working a treat, its taken out two nasty islands and put in a cracking short but steep hill, don't think I'll ever do my old route again. I suppose sometimes it takes a stranger to an area to. See something that should be glaringly obvious.. So one final thanks on this subject guys

sabian92

Über Member
I'm guessing it's the Widnes-Runcorn bridge from the OP's username. Not much alternative route. Pretty sure this came up on here some time ago, worth a search. Me, I'd just ride it,

There's a path down the side of that - I commute across it. I wouldn't ride on it unless you could keep up 30+ - traffic is mental on there at the best of times.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Glad the alternative route works for you.

For that particular bridge, personally I would adopt a very strong secondary position. That is, far enough out to stop anyone squeezing past, but with a nod to being on the left of the lane rather than the centre. I find that position tends to produce less road-rage from idiots, as you are not overtly blocking them. The odd tactical wobble can be helpful to deter anyone you think is contemplating a dodgy overtake.

Top Bottom