A Newbie's Dilemma - what's your opinion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
simon the viking
Hi ianrauk and 400bhp your right I was thinking in car mode - the bridge you've highlighted is a footbridge with a cycle path, it is a bit out of the way for me as I'm coming down Branston road map but 10 mins cycling easily beats 10 mins walking and no law breaking so I will try it, just not tomorrow as its lower than St Peters Bridge and currently under a foot of water - I saw it on the way home.

Thanks Guys will let you know how it goes....

alicat

Legendary Member
Yes the footbridge is the one to use - used it many a time.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
From a quick google I was going to suggest The Dingle (or whatever its called) might be worth checking out but it seems like folk are already suggesting that :thumbsup: You might be able to go down Watson Street to avoid a big detour, from the look of pics it looks a OK surface when not under water ;)
7364894.jpg

OP
OP
simon the viking
Hi folks, thanks very much for the time and effort looking at an alternative route. I had almost forgotten this route existed as I haven't used it for 20 years (since I had driving licence) using it tonight and coming out in town it only added 5 mins on when the water goes down I will be able to leave it halfway and use a path to Burton road. So thanks once again!

400bhp

Guru
Hi folks, thanks very much for the time and effort looking at an alternative route. I had almost forgotten this route existed as I haven't used it for 20 years (since I had driving licence) using it tonight and coming out in town it only added 5 mins on when the water goes down I will be able to leave it halfway and use a path to Burton road. So thanks once again!

We're sometimes here to help.:thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Good to hear it's a viable alternative for you.

OP
OP
simon the viking
New route working a treat, its taken out two nasty islands and put in a cracking short but steep hill, don't think I'll ever do my old route again. I suppose sometimes it takes a stranger to an area to. See something that should be glaringly obvious.. So one final thanks on this subject guys

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nice one, always good to find an alternative route, and we do far too often think like we are driving a car.

sabian92

Über Member
I'm guessing it's the Widnes-Runcorn bridge from the OP's username. Not much alternative route. Pretty sure this came up on here some time ago, worth a search. Me, I'd just ride it,

There's a path down the side of that - I commute across it. I wouldn't ride on it unless you could keep up 30+ - traffic is mental on there at the best of times.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Glad the alternative route works for you.

For that particular bridge, personally I would adopt a very strong secondary position. That is, far enough out to stop anyone squeezing past, but with a nod to being on the left of the lane rather than the centre. I find that position tends to produce less road-rage from idiots, as you are not overtly blocking them. The odd tactical wobble can be helpful to deter anyone you think is contemplating a dodgy overtake.

Top Bottom