A nice driver...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Just to give his dues to the lorry driver I encountered earlier on my ride up to campus. Pulled up behind me at a red light, and when it went to green he sat well back so as not to overtake me on a narrow bit, and waited until he had a whole lane to move over into. His mate was looking out of the window at me as they passed, so I gave him a cheery smile and a wave, and avoided filtering to get in front of him at the next lights, so that he didn't have to overtake me again.:blush:

Whether he was just a good bloke, or it was my Polite jacket, I don't know, but it was a nice boost...

Brock

You know Arch it's funny, but I've never had a lorry driver hang back behind me with my blokey arse flexing away right in front of him for any longer than absolutely necessary.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Brock said:
You know Arch it's funny, but I've never had a lorry driver hang back behind me with my blokey arse flexing away right in front of him for any longer than absolutely necessary.

:blush:

Woo! Way to boost my self esteem!

I fear any driver who ogled my arse would probably be very disappointed when thy did pass and looked in the mirror and saw my face..

Whoops! There goes the self esteem again...

Maz

Guru
I've often wondered whether my POLITE hi-viz or the driver being genuinely good-natured is the reason some drivers are courteous. In your case though, Arch, he's probably just an arse-ogler :blush:.

Tynan

Veteran
there's loads of decent drivers, you tend not to remember them as long as the odd bad/careless ones

and I second the lady cyclist angle, I like birds on bikes, not many of them about though, barrig old ladies wobbling along

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tynan said:
there's loads of decent drivers, you tend not to remember them as long as the odd bad/careless ones

Well, there's decent, meaning "not actually making me think I'm going to die", which are common enough, and there's decent meaning "actively does the extra little bit to make me feel safe", which is less common. But I agree, mostly I don't feel in danger.

gbb

Legendary Member
Its so nice to see a 'nice' post appreciating decent behaviour by other road users...and that some car drivers users appreciate a cyclists needs.

This place is a rant fest sometimes. Bit too much sometimes.:blush:

Tetedelacourse

Brock said:

Necessary for what, you big hunk of manliness?:blush:;)

Tetedelacourse

gbb said:
Its so nice to see a 'nice' post appreciating decent behaviour by other road users...and that some car drivers users appreciate a cyclists needs.

This place is a rant fest sometimes. Bit too much sometimes.:blush:

Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree Agree

ps I agree

buggi

Bird Saviour
Arch, they may have a point. could be your ladyarse.

i mean lets face it, hi viz jacket and helmet hardly screams sex symbol does it?.... however, add a bit of lycra around the arse and they just come flocking!!! they can't help themselves.

Was it a Tesco lorry per change Arch? I remember posting here ages ago about a Tesco lorry who drove faultlessly around me along Embankment and when I overtook him later on he ended up staying behind me, giving plenty of room, not coming up 2cm from my rear wheel at lights etc etc.

I e-mailled Tesco at the suggestion of someone here, though like a dunce I forgot to get the numberplate D'oh!, but I did my best to describe when, where and what he looked like. They said they would try and trace him, though I haven't heard anything since.

I hope they did manage to find the bloke, because that kind of class driving shows everyone what a true professional driver is.

Maz

Guru
I once sent an email/phoned Robert Wiseman dairies to compliment their excellent lorry driver. I didn't have his reg, but gave details of where he was going (Tescos) and at what time.
Who knows, he may have got a bonus or something...

wafflycat

Arch said:
Just to give his dues to the lorry driver I encountered earlier on my ride up to campus. Pulled up behind me at a red light, and when it went to green he sat well back so as not to overtake me on a narrow bit, and waited until he had a whole lane to move over into. His mate was looking out of the window at me as they passed, so I gave him a cheery smile and a wave, and avoided filtering to get in front of him at the next lights, so that he didn't have to overtake me again.:blush:

Whether he was just a good bloke, or it was my Polite jacket, I don't know, but it was a nice boost...

I live just down the road from a quarry. Without fail the drivers of the HGVs going to & from the quarry are courteous to me when I'm on my bike, true knights of the road. I always give a wave (if safe to do so) to let them know they've passed me & it's safe to pull back in. They seem to appreciate the gesture as will do the thank you flash of indicators as they pull back in.

wafflycat

Maz said:
I once sent an email/phoned Robert Wiseman dairies to compliment their excellent lorry driver. I didn't have his reg, but gave details of where he was going (Tescos) and at what time.
Who knows, he may have got a bonus or something...

I've done this with a couple of companies. One had the transport manager of the company (national company) on the phone thanking me profusely and another had a driver telling me how much the drivers appreciated it as positive feedback was such a rare thing - usually people only complain.

Top Bottom