A noise I haven't seen mentioned before

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zaza123

I noticed a ticking noise from behind me today. Once a wheel cycle, pedalling or free-wheeling. After some chin-scratching It turned out it was the overlapping piece of the reflective strip around my Panaracer Tourguard rear tyre that had started to lift and was clipping the mudguard stay on each revolution.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a noise like that once. It turned out to be due to a nail which had managed to penetrate my rear tyre without causing a puncture!

pawl

Legendary Member
I had a noise like that once. It turned out to be due to a nail which had managed to penetrate my rear tyre without causing a puncture!
Check the wheel for loose spoke.I had a clicking sound from a front wheel like you I thought it was the wheel catching on some thing,it was only when I lifted the front of the bike to spin the wheel that I hapened to turn the wheel with the spoke that had worked loose .Pure chance.

I noticed a ticking noise from behind me today. Once a wheel cycle, pedalling or free-wheeling. After some chin-scratching It turned out it was the overlapping piece of the reflective strip around my Panaracer Tourguard rear tyre that had started to lift and was clipping the mudguard stay on each revolution.

It is stories like this that so nicely demonstrate the futility of going online (or speaking to a mechanic over the phone for that matter) to find the source of the noise. Hands-up anyone who diagnosed the problem based on the ZaZa's first two sentences. Anyone???

This arrived in my inbox today:

"Anyway, we have been having some great weather here and yesterday I decided to go for a ride, first one in maybe 5 months...?? I didn’t go far because my front wheel was making such a noise that I was worried it was going to implode / explode. Basically it sounded like a spoke tensioning and releasing and rubbing against the other spoke in close proximity, a sort of twang, twang and was more pronounced if I put pressure or weight on the front wheel by leaning over it. I felt all the spokes by hand but they feel tight and the wheel is running true, visually I can’t see any issues, what’s your feeling here mate, is there something I can do to check it or is it a trip to this miserable bunch up the road here – if it’s not serious I’ll just leave it but the noise worried me a bit, would hate to be barrelling along "....

There is just no way the problem will be solved online.

I am not saying we shouldn't turn online for "funny noises" or indeed other symptoms, I'm merely pointing out how bizarre the origin of some of these noises are. Who could possibly have guessed this one?

OP
OP
zaza123

zaza123

I u
I am not saying we shouldn't turn online for "funny noises" or indeed other symptoms, I'm merely pointing out how bizarre the origin of some of these noises are. Who could possibly have guessed this one?

I understand now and yes, I agree. It was a while before I caught it. It's strange, my ears are generally shite from too many loud gigs during my time but if there is an irritating sound to be heard it will bounce around my head until I track it down.

subaqua

What’s the point
It is stories like this that so nicely demonstrate the futility of going online (or speaking to a mechanic over the phone for that matter) to find the source of the noise. Hands-up anyone who diagnosed the problem based on the ZaZa's first two sentences. Anyone???

This arrived in my inbox today:

"Anyway, we have been having some great weather here and yesterday I decided to go for a ride, first one in maybe 5 months...?? I didn’t go far because my front wheel was making such a noise that I was worried it was going to implode / explode. Basically it sounded like a spoke tensioning and releasing and rubbing against the other spoke in close proximity, a sort of twang, twang and was more pronounced if I put pressure or weight on the front wheel by leaning over it. I felt all the spokes by hand but they feel tight and the wheel is running true, visually I can’t see any issues, what’s your feeling here mate, is there something I can do to check it or is it a trip to this miserable bunch up the road here – if it’s not serious I’ll just leave it but the noise worried me a bit, would hate to be barrelling along "....

There is just no way the problem will be solved online.

Errrr it was the description somebody posted on here that led me to check my front wheel and discover the broken spoke at the nipple end. I had just learnt to live with the noise that I couldn't find.

Oh and the creak on the MTB that turned out to be one bolt on the bar/stem connection needing a nip up. Again one I had learned to live with until I read the post.

0lonerider

Veteran
i bought a new trek 2.3 from steels newcaste it made a clickin noise? checked everything,had a mate look it over couldnt find a cause, i told the guy in steels! he said its the spokes on the weels, he went for a ride and said it wasnt spoke noise and checked everything! still made a noise? lol.
anyway they were a great help but couldnt find a cause, i said its ok id put up with it as i loved the bike and it was safe.wasnt till winter when i fitted a front light i found the cause! the daft bell that came with the bike! id slid under the bars instead of taking off was a cheapo and the bell body was loose causing it to rattle lol, had the guys in steels in bits when i told them lol.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Must say I was thinking a sticking pawl in the free hub as I started reading op's post..then I was thinking ?

Guy with the laces still wins ,ticking noise from bb area..
suprising how many things pop up in a what is this noise post..

Globalti

Legendary Member
Best one I've ever diagnosed (having had it on one of my own bikes) was an annoying squealing noise from somebody's back wheel. I glanced down and, sure enough it was a Shimano hub with a conical rubber shield on the non-drive side. I simply pulled it off, smeared some lube on the two flanges where it joined the hub and the axle and.... glorious silence. The cyclist was amazed and happy.

Top Bottom