A One Day Belgian Style Cobbled Race In Britain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Would there be enough of these type of roads in Britain in one part of the country to have a similar race - if so, where could they hold it?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
In Belgium its not the lack of cobbles that's the challenge, its the lack.of hills.

The Ronde is basically a day spent riding up and down the only hill in the region .

In the UK, hills are abundant. Seems a shame to try and bring the cobbles over here and try to replicate Paris roubaix or Flanders.

Personally, I'd jump on a ferry and go ride it.

In fact on Friday-Sunday, I am!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The short answer is no. If there was, they'd be doing it already.
Whereas the correct answer is ... Yes, up here!

You could take a look at the Ronde Van Calderdale for ideas. There are plenty of insanely hard cobbled climbs round here ...

buttress.jpg

I could easily plot a route as hard as any Belgian cobbled classic without going more than 25 miles in any direction from Halifax. The problem would be getting the road closures.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Whereas the correct answer is ... Yes, up here!

You could take a look at the Ronde Van Calderdale for ideas. There are plenty of insanely hard cobbled climbs round here ...

View attachment 344488

I could easily plot a route as hard as any Belgian cobbled classic without going more than 25 miles in any direction from Halifax. The problem would be getting the road closures.
If you build it...they will come.

Do it.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
There's a bit more to a decent classic than 'insanely hard cobbled climbs' though...
Very true, you need some very shouty French riders screaming "adroite" in the car park!!, always a nice start.

Plus you need crepes, lots and lots of crepes, and waffles in plastic wrappers.

Oh and maaaassive tanks of squash.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There's a bit more to a decent classic than 'insanely hard cobbled climbs' though...
True ... When they organised the Leeds Classic they made it so hard that more than half of the peloton didn't bother finishing and great climber Robert Millar was scathing about the route. He said that they were 'taking the piss' by chucking in every climb and rough little road they could. It became more of a survival exercise than a race.

S-Express

He said that they were 'taking the piss' by chucking in every climb and rough little road they could. It became more of a survival exercise than a race.

Therein lies the problem when the Brits try to put on international races. They somehow feel obliged to run the race up every single 45deg incline they can pack in to a day's event. The crowds might love it, but it makes for sh1t racing.

oldroadman

Veteran
Therein lies the problem when the Brits try to put on international races. They somehow feel obliged to run the race up every single 45deg incline they can pack in to a day's event. The crowds might love it, but it makes for sh1t racing.
Ahem...Cicle Classic. No big climbs, bad surface sectors, and hardly racing with the odour referred to.

Top Bottom