A One Day Belgian Style Cobbled Race In Britain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

Ahem...Cicle Classic. No big climbs, bad surface sectors, and hardly racing with the odour referred to.

I know about the Cicle Classic. It's UCI 1.2 though, so a bit different in terms of participants. I just assumed we were talking about WT or 1.HC events.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I know about the Cicle Classic. It's UCI 1.2 though, so a bit different in terms of participants. I just assumed we were talking about WT or 1.HC events.
In terms of participants, but the Cicle Classic and the Lincoln GP are probably the two most Belgian-style races in Britain, aren't they?

http://cicleclassic.co.uk/
http://www.lincolngrandprix.co.uk/site/

iandg

Legendary Member
The OP did just ask if there were similar races - didn't suggest it had to be a classic. Posts above suggest there are roads that could be used for similar races. The thing is are there organisers who would want to organise such an event?

S-Express

The OP did just ask if there were similar races - didn't suggest it had to be a classic. Posts above suggest there are roads that could be used for similar races. The thing is are there organisers who would want to organise such an event?

Racing in Belgium is a way of life, pretty much. Whole towns and villages get shut down for the day, the roads are closed and barriered and the residents come out to support the event en masse.

Over here, all people do is refuse to co-operate, moan about road closures and sprinkle tacks on the roads. So no, none of the races over here will be anything like Belgian races.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Racing in Belgium is a way of life, pretty much. Whole towns and villages get shut down for the day, the roads are closed and barriered and the residents come out to support the event en masse.

Over here, all people do is refuse to co-operate, moan about road closures and sprinkle tacks on the roads. So no, none of the races over here will be anything like Belgian races.

But on the other hand, Tour of Britain, and particularly Tour De France grand depart and Tour de Yorkshire. It can be done and attract popular support. Why decide it can't be done without even trying?

S-Express

But on the other hand, Tour of Britain, and particularly Tour De France grand depart and Tour de Yorkshire. It can be done and attract popular support. Why decide it can't be done without even trying?

Those are UCI WT or 1HC level races. The levels of planning, investment and support are available for those already, as is evidenced by their success. I'm talking about 'everyday' Belgian kermesses and the like, which happen routinely in Europe without most locals batting an eyelid.

Closed road events in the UK outside of major flagship events like TdY, ToB, TdF, etc are much fewer and further between. They do happen, (ie Guildford, Shrewsbury, Winchester, etc) but we are a long way off the kind of routine regularity that we see in anywhere in Europe. I wouldn't even include the Tour Series events on that list, as they represent a fairly high level of investment, sponsorship and support, although they are obviously a step in the right direction and the more they happen, the less 'unusual' such events will become to the general population.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The kind of thing that can happen if the road closures are not done properly ... I remember a stage of the Kellogg's Tour being brought to a sickening halt by a lunatic driver who insisted 'I know my rights!' and ignored the instructions of police motorcycle outriders to stop. He drove out into the path of the peloton as they descended a hill in the Lake District and caused a pile-up - LINK. That was in 1994 - things are probably even worse now.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

I think also that its a way of income.

There are not many attractions in the flatlands of Belgium that draw tourism. Its not pretty, its not full of widely relevant history (unless you are into war history) its a bit like the isle of Thanet, sure there is stuff to see but its more like a stop over than a destination.

So cycling has put many towns, villages, hills and entire regions on the map, attracting tens of thousands of visitors for a single event.

Flanders, this weekend has something like 60,000 participants...all renting accommodation, buying meals and enjoying/recommending the region.

It feels like parts of the UK dont want this added attention and feel that they do just fine by using their thatched cottages, cathedrals and beaches to attract tourists, without having to shut it all down for a bunch of mamils.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I think also that its a way of income.

There are not many attractions in the flatlands of Belgium that draw tourism. Its not pretty, its not full of widely relevant history (unless you are into war history) its a bit like the isle of Thanet, sure there is stuff to see but its more like a stop over than a destination.

So cycling has put many towns, villages, hills and entire regions on the map, attracting tens of thousands of visitors for a single event.

Flanders, this weekend has something like 60,000 participants...all renting accommodation, buying meals and enjoying/recommending the region.

It feels like parts of the UK dont want this added attention and feel that they do just fine by using their thatched cottages, cathedrals and beaches to attract tourists, without having to shut it all down for a bunch of mamils.
Last year on the Fridays tour, on our last day (Gent-Dunkerque) we stopped off at a bar, can't remember where but it would be in the vicinity of Izegem, with an extensive wall display in honour of local boy Yves Lampaert (of Etixx-Quick-Step). There were posters, press cuttings and a couple of his old jerseys. Some of us had seen him riding a few days before (the rest day audax was interrupted by the Tour of Wallonia). Wouldn't get that over here…

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Last year on the Fridays tour, on our last day (Gent-Dunkerque) we stopped off at a bar, can't remember where but it would be in the vicinity of Izegem, with an extensive wall display in honour of local boy Yves Lampaert (of Etixx-Quick-Step). There were posters, press cuttings and a couple of his old jerseys. Some of us had seen him riding a few days before (the rest day audax was interrupted by the Tour of Wallonia). Wouldn't get that over here…
Possibly, which is my point really.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Because some people like to talk us down as a "can't do" kind of country. Too much newspaper bile in the diet.

Top Bottom