A pain in the a**e (and wrists)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can just put padded shorts or undies under any shorts or trousers instead of normal undies, don’t even need special cycling overs like Hummvees.
If wearing bellbottoms, cycling clips probably advised tho

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I am a bit wary about adjusting things to be honest - I figure the bike company spent £££ on R&D so they probably know a lot more than me - but at the moment it's hurting, so if I get rid of that pain by adjusting stuff then great. If it doesn't work I can always move it back to roughly where it was, or maybe even take the plunge and go to a bike shop and ask them to set it up properly for me when Covid restrictions end.
I have to adjust every bike i buy even when its the right size , everyone is different thats why you can alter seat height, setback , stem length, drop from bar to saddle etc .
I have 3 bikes all with the same nominal top tube size but every single one has slightly different stems to account for varied geometry and reach of the bars

I am a bit wary about adjusting things to be honest - I figure the bike company spent £££ on R&D so they probably know a lot more than me - but at the moment it's hurting, so if I get rid of that pain by adjusting stuff then great. If it doesn't work I can always move it back to roughly where it was, or maybe even take the plunge and go to a bike shop and ask them to set it up properly for me when Covid restrictions end.

If I didn't adjust things drastically I'd never even be able to ride a bike!

Don't forget that a bike is made to fit a 'theoretical person' and not to fit an individual with all our perfectly normal variations from the average! Also, small adjustments when you're coming back to it can relieve sensitive spots; even if on Thursday you adjust the settings back to what you'd had on Tuesday, that Wednesday ride didn't put quite the same pressure on quite the same spots as Tuesday and Thursday, so they got a bit of a rest ...

cyberknight

If I didn't adjust things drastically I'd never even be able to ride a bike!

Don't forget that a bike is made to fit a 'theoretical person' and not to fit an individual with all our perfectly normal variations from the average! Also, small adjustments when you're coming back to it can relieve sensitive spots; even if on Thursday you adjust the settings back to what you'd had on Tuesday, that Wednesday ride didn't put quite the same pressure on quite the same spots as Tuesday and Thursday, so they got a bit of a rest ...
indeed and fit changes as you gain/lose weight and get older ! my position has moved back and down over the last few years to unweight the arms and as my legs have shrunk

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But I've read a couple of articles this morning that suggest newbies tend to sit too heavily in their saddles (definitely me at the moment) but that as they develop better technique this disappears and weight becomes spread more evenly between saddle, pedals and handlebars.....I'm hoping I'm a quick learner :unsure:
Whoever wrote that is a sadist! Weight on the handlebars should be minimal, not an even spread with saddle and pedals, else you'll get pains in your hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders and probably back.

It's true to say that newbies tend to sit too heavily in their saddles, but that should be mostly because their legs aren't strong enough to share the weight for the whole ride and it'll improve quickly.

cyberknight

Whoever wrote that is a sadist! Weight on the handlebars should be minimal, not an even spread with saddle and pedals, else you'll get pains in your hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders and probably back.

It's true to say that newbies tend to sit too heavily in their saddles, but that should be mostly because their legs aren't strong enough to share the weight for the whole ride and it'll improve quickly.
and i bet the old saddle to low adds to this , with the right height and cadence you tend to unwieght your saddle as you press on the pedals

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The total sum of bodyweight is never directly on the saddle on a correctly fitted bike. Not only does the pedal stroke effectively unweight you in the saddle but the act of leaning forward from the hips balances your upper body to the point where actual weight placed on the handlebars is pretty much enough to offer control.

Lovacott

Über Member
Ideally, you don't want the bit between your bum and your man parts (perineum) taking your weight on the thin part of the saddle. If you tilt the saddle too far forwards, this is what will happen (you will slip forwards).

Also, if you get wrist pain, it may be that your controls (brakes and shifters) could do with a bit of a swivel. Loosen them off slightly (just enough that they will move with a bit of force) and swivel them forwards or back until your wrists feel comfortable before tightening them up again. On a hybrid or MTB, I always adjust my brake levers by swivelling them forwards so that my wrists stay straight when riding.

If your unsure, just adjust in small increments before each ride until you find a setup you like.

OP
OP
L

Lazy Fat Vegan

Regular
Thanks for all the replies. I've played with adjusting things on my bike - sometimes it made things worse, and I my legs were dead within a mile, but I think I've got it as good as I can. Managed a 4 mile ride today in about 30 minutes (including stopping for traffic etc) which I know isn't that far but taking the advice of building up gradually....very gradually. But I can't stop thinking "I want a new bike" but don't know whether to get another hybrid or mountain bike type, but with front suspension.....or to spend more and get a gravel bike (I've never ridden with drop handlebars and think it wouldn't be wise seeing as my current hybrid makes my wrists ache and fingers go numb). I'm not confident riding on busy roads so spend a fair bit of time bumping up and down kerbs so I'm not sure either of those options would really be a good idea

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you tried ergo grips if your bike has round ones. They make a world of difference IMO and don’t cost much.
Bar width could also be a problem for you, ask your lbs what they think.
Do you take your hands off the bars if stopped to give them a rest? Or ride one handed abd give each a wiggle in turn?

do you have gel padded mitts? Might be worth a try if you’re happy the saddle position is right. Unless the bike is simply way too big for you, a new bike probably won’t solve the issue.

presumably you’re bumping up and down onto shared use pavements and not ped only? :unsure:

Top Bottom