A Pair Of Beauties

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David Higson

I recently picked up the following pair of step through roadsters.

A Rudge Ulster Tourist from 1956 with 3 speed Sturmey Archer AW hub
upload_2014-6-23_7-59-23.png

and a BSA which seems to be from 1964 (based on the AW hub date)
upload_2014-6-23_8-0-23.png

They're both set for a long term restoration project and I do realise that I have a long and painstaking process to source all the replacement parts. I do have a couple of questions for this community.

Both frames are actually Raleigh produced "Branded" bikes and whilst I had no trouble finding the serial number on the Rudge, I'm blowed if I can find it on the BSA. The BSA has obviously been repainted in its 50 year history so it may have obscured the stamping but where should I be looking to scrape off the paint?

Secondly, both machines have those peculiar old fixed length brake cables with a nipple at both ends. Is there a current source for these or will I have to manufacture them myself?

I'm not sure that the saddle on the Rudge is original. It's old, certainly, but its made by "SMP" which I believe is an old trade mark of Selle. Can anyone enlighten me to the appropriate saddle for this bike? I know a Brooks B17 covers all ills but it would be nice to have one of the old springy thingies. The amazingly sprung armchair saddle on the BSA is a "Wilby" from BIrmingham England.

Also, I know the model name of the Rudge (Ulster Tourist) from deciphering the fading decals but I have no idea of the model name of the BSA. It would be nice to know if anyone had any ideas.

Cheers
David

shadaboot27

Do you want to sell the cranks from the Rudge? I have a gents Rudge Ulster Sports that i'm trying to source parts for, maybe we could do some swaps?

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
There's usually only a few places for the serial number. Here are my experiences

Bottom bracket
On the down tube (usually later made Raleigh's)
On the top of the down tube lug just under the seat post
On the rear dropout

I have 2 raleigh made triumphs and one was on the down tube and the other on the lug under the seat post.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
OP
OP
David Higson

David Higson

Do you want to sell the cranks from the Rudge? I have a gents Rudge Ulster Sports that i'm trying to source parts for, maybe we could do some swaps?

Thanks for the offer, but at this stage I'm looking to restore the bicycle to its original condition. The cranks are a fairly distinctive part of the Rudge so for the moment at least I'll say no thanks.

Top Bottom