A pavement parking odyssey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Should be a blanket ban everywhere.

And why are delivery drivers going to be exempt from some aspects of the Edinburgh ban? A delivery van on the footway or double parked is just as dangerous and inconvenient as a private car, and onky being there for "just a minute" doesnt make it any less so - we dont let off other classes kf minir criminal just because their offending only took a moment.

Two tier laws are the thin end of a slippery slope.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And why are delivery drivers going to be exempt from some aspects of the Edinburgh ban? A delivery van on the footway or double parked is just as dangerous and inconvenient as a private car, and onky being there for "just a minute" doesnt make it any less so - we dont let off other classes kf minir criminal just because their offending only took a moment.
Isn't un/loading exempt from all parking restrictions? That's the we have the rarely -seen kerb stripes for loading restrictions. So it's a trickier problem to fix.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
There are some markings where loading/ unloading is exempt already, but those markings exist to specifically facilitate loading/unloading on that spot jn the first place. Edinburgh carncil have yet to state the exact wording, but from that stated thus far it will be a blanket exemption to delivery drivers.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Pavement Parking Petition
Closes March
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/642947

Alex321

Veteran
There are some markings where loading/ unloading is exempt already, but those markings exist to specifically facilitate loading/unloading on that spot jn the first place.

I thought it was actually the opposite. Loading/unloading is always exempt unless there are specific markings saying otherwise.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I've signed it, but I'd be surprised if it makes any difference.
Back in 2019, there was a Transport Committee inquiry into pavement parking to which I, and no doubt hundreds of others, submitted comments. That inquiry resulted in this publication, which looking at the government's response, sought to delay matters, rather than wholesale adoption with government supported blanket legislation.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm not hopeful that this will be enforced. It seems everywhere I go now, cars are parked around the mouths of junctions which is (AFAIK) still an offence, but I've never seen anyone enforce it. No tickets or anything. Police regularly drive by these junction parkers and don't give it a second glance. Would they even take it seriously if someone reports pavement parking? There would need to be an effective and convenient reporting mechanism (unless there is already one?) for a start

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
I'm not hopeful that this will be enforced. It seems everywhere I go now, cars are parked around the mouths of junctions which is (ASAIK) still an offence, but I've never seen anyone enforce it. No tickets or anything. Police regularly drive by these junction parkers and don't give it a second glance. Would they even take it seriously if someone reports pavement parking? There would need to be an effective and convenient reporting mechanism (unless there is already one?) for a start

It is against the highway code, but not actually a specific offence - it could fall under the catch-all offence of causing an obstruction.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/waiting-and-parking-238-to-252

Rule 243 - note it is a DO NOT, rather than MUST NOT, and no law quoted.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom