A question about ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
I find this strange and confess I may be overreacting ?
I sold a bike on ebay recently, I also listed it on here, see my Felt Z5 advert at bottom of page 1.
The ebay buyer contacted me and asked " What if I send my courier to pick it up. Pay via Paypal. No need to wrap it. "

Now I am aware of the courier scams. This guy had an address in Hertfordshire and I am in North Yorkshire so I was wary.
I explained providing Payment was made through ebay and cleared ok I had no objection to courier pick up.
I asked about collection and a day later he asked for my address and phone number to pass to the courier.
My ' hackles' were up and I said I would share no personal information until the bike was paid for.
He paid on the 14th march and the funds cleared quickly to my bank. I then shared my address and phone number (think he would have my address from ebay )
This guy is not a good communicator ! a day or so later he said the courier would contact me before picking the bike up on Weds 22nd. Yep, tomorrow.
As yet nothing heard from a potential courier and no change of plan or explanation from the buyer.
If this was a large sum of money I would be thinking . . . money laundering . . . . he will say he cannot collect and ask for a refund.
He just may be 'tardy' or there may be another perfectly good reason.
Can you see any potential scam here ? All my correspondence has been through ebay. He has my address and phone number, that's all.
Any thoughts ?

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
The buyer’s been struck by lightning.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Good that you are wary.

I have no idea what may be going on. It is the nature of these things that you can't see what is going on

What happens if you are not in when the courier comes and he tries to reclaim the courier cost from you, plus the return of the sale price through ebay?

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
Good that you are wary.

I have no idea what may be going on. It is the nature of these things that you can't see what is going on

What happens if you are not in when the courier comes and he tries to reclaim the courier cost from you, plus the return of the sale price through ebay?

I don't have a clue but possession of the funds puts me in a pretty strong position. I have done everything by the book and would throw teddy out the pram and cancel my ebay account (can always use my wife's ^_^ ) if as usual they side with the buyer and come after me.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Temporarily remove all cards and bank account details from PayPal to prevent any kind of unwanted refund shenanigans.

That's a very point that I wouldn't have thought of.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Yes the funds cleared days ago. We run a secondary bank account which we use for online transactions and we keep very limited funds in there. The funds were moved from this account to my main account.

Wise move re second account.
I guess it's a waiting game.
Not sure how you go about getting the collection code that the seller gets sent to verify collection went ok .

Top Bottom