A question about ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Well, as I explained earlier, my bank account registered with ebay only has a nominal amount in it. I move money into this account as needed. At the moment there is less than £40,00 in this account.

Well they would take that then and go into your overdraft for the rest. If they cant get it they will tell you to pay or they will get baliffs etc to recover it.
I would'nt risk it personally I would have just sold the bike locally.
Ebay is full of scammers regarding expensive items. Its totally noted for it.
No, You having £445 will not make him sweat all at. He can easily get the bike and that refunded if he is a scammer... It's really easy. Buyers have 100% protection on Ebay. Sellers have non.

Ebay sides with the buyer 100% of the time not the seller, remember that.

Almost 2 years ago a buyer accused me of not selling a 'genuine' article or 'as not advertised' and requested a refund. Without an original receipt I could not prove it was genuine. OTOH, the buyer could not prove it was not genuine but offered up pictures of 'originals' against my item. It seemed eBay was siding with the buyer. I refused to accept the buyer's accusation and eventually the item was returned to me. After a while of continually appealing, eBay suddenly granted the appeal, refunding me the money I now had the buyer's money and the item and have heard nothing since. I do not know why I have not been asked to return the money to the buyer.

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
I have been with ebay 19 years with a totally blemish free record. Nearly 500 feedback at 100% I refuse to believe they will side against me. Tomorrow morning I will get 'ahead of this' by requesting a call back from ebay and sharing my concerns. I will also ask what is the procedure for the pickup courier to ensure I am protected.

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
Well they would take that then and go into your overdraft for the rest. If they cant get it they will tell you to pay or they will get baliffs etc to recover it.

Well, 1. I don't have an agreed overdraft so how does that work ?
2. I don't have a fear of bailiffs because I know what powers they have.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I have been with ebay 19 years with a totally blemish free record. Nearly 500 feedback at 100% I refuse to believe they will side against me. Tomorrow morning I will get 'ahead of this' by requesting a call back from ebay and sharing my concerns. I will also ask what is the procedure for the pickup courier to ensure I am protected.

I hope it all works out for you but loads of people have been very badly scammed on Ebay. Just look it up.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD

Lol. 25 feedback a year. I don’t think eBay are quivering at the thought of losing your custom if I’m honest and from past experience…..

I’d say I’m an above average eBay user (**Buyer and seller; with feedback
Increasing by around 300-500 a year). Anytime I’ve had issues this has carried no weight / additional clout with ebay whatsoever - the process has merely borne out as per eBay policies. And 99% of the time as a seller - you really have to fight your corner. EVERYTHING seems to be on the buyers side…..

So I wish you the best of luck. And you are perhaps right to be wary in this situation 👍

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I run a business and do use Ebay. I simply refuse collections and couriers that i haven't paid for. I have been burned a few times and Ebay really, really do not care about the seller and they gobble up a not an insignificant amount of money from me. I am in charge of sales, proof of delivery and any lost items and that is just the way i like it. Trust is an overrated commodity in the internet sales business.

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
Ok, I admit I knew nothing about the QR code that the buyer needs to provide me with when collecting the bike.
If he has a code or 6 figure number how do I know it is correct ?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Ok, I admit I knew nothing about the QR code that the buyer needs to provide me with when collecting the bike.
If he has a code or 6 figure number how do I know it is correct ?

Not sure as all the qr codes I have seen I have just entered with my keyboard and that's it , perhaps when you enter a false code it tells you?

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
So it works like this does it ? Scenario. The courier is on my drive to collect the bike. I ask for the code. Then he has to wait while I go indoors, logon to ebay and enter the code. Hopefully everything is ' hunky dory ' or I return to the courier and piss him off by saying I will not release the bike ?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
How will you claim your money back OP if he says he didnt get it?
You dont know who the company is, if its a company or anything?
All he has to say is it wasnt received and YOU WILL have to refund him.
I think you are going to get scammed OP. If it was me I'd refund him now and sell the bike locally.
Whats his feedback like on Ebay?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
So it works like this does it ? Scenario. The courier is on my drive to collect the bike. I ask for the code. Then he has to wait while I go indoors, logon to ebay and enter the code. Hopefully everything is ' hunky dory ' or I return to the courier and piss him off by saying I will not release the bike ?

Afraid so

I had a similar sale a while back told buyer no shipping available, cash on collection in person only complete with qr code then next thing I knew was he had paid via e bay and wanted to collect in the morning I said no cash in hand as per ad and I refunded his payment and never heard from them again

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
I think you are going to get scammed OP. If it was me I'd refund him now and sell the bike locally.

His feedback looks fine 227 @ 100% that is all purchases no sales
I have sent him this:

The courier will need the QR code or the ebay email with the 6 digit code

I cannot release the bike with just 6 numbers !

Who is the courier, name and company please ?​

What I want to avoid is someone turning up with a bit of paper with 6 numbers on expecting me to instantly release the bike.
What i cannot find out is if i enter these numbers into ebay will it immediately tell me if they are false.
I have also asked the buyer if he would like a refund and i will keep the bike. Frankly I am p***ed off now. £445.00 aint gonna
change my life, I just wanted a lovely bike to go to a good home.
If I ever do this again it will be cash on collection or nothing.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD

Not sure good feedback is indicative of a successful transaction. Part of the scam is also likely / could well be a hacked eBay account…… been there. Got the T-shirt 🤦‍♂️

Top Bottom