A question about ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
Did anyone turn up?

No Anne, no one turned up and nothing heard. I contacted the buyer via ebay yesterday evening and said if nothing heard in the near future I would cancel the sale and refund. Surprisingly I received a reply. (poor comms throughout this sale) He apologised, said he understood my frustration and said the courier had let him down. He said the courier would/should contact me tomorrow ( i.e today)
If that failed all he could do was get a different courier. Basically, he said all the right things. I said I would wait a little longer and reminded him the courier must have the relevant QR or 6 figure code or I would not release the bike.
It is no problem for me to hang on to the bike and I have had £455.00 of his money since the 14th mar. The only problem is waiting on a courier, will I get sufficient warning if I am away from home or will he just turn up ?

The linked account will be in the red.

I don't think it matters what funds you have in your account. When my internet provider took their £3 for the next 3gb of data, I'd only have say 80p in my account. I contacted my bank to try to stop it happening again and the bank (halifax) claimed I'd entered an agreement with my provider to allow them to withdraw funds, which I had but I certainly didn't want them putting me in the red.

There is probably a similar 'agreement' in Ebay's or PayPal's terms and conditions.

My main gripe was if I've only got 80p I personally can't withdraw £5 from a cash point, but a third party could withdraw £5 from my account, which they did, and the bank wouldn't allow me to stop it. The only way i could was by cancelling my internet altogether with that provider.

This is more Money Matters than eebay but thought I'd mention. I think the only way to avoid this happening is to have a 'Basic' bank account, one that doesn't allow it to go overdrawn at all. I know that from experience as a long time back now I entered into a Debt Management Plan with several lenders, a condition of was I operated only a basic bank account. This would not allow any overdrawn status at all (the payment is rejected) and had some other safeguards like all card payments had to be approved - nothing would ever appear as pending.

I think the main reason banks allow payments to send you overdrawn is to impose excess interest, I don't think they can charge a fee anymore for going overdrawn.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
This is more Money Matters than eebay but thought I'd mention. I think the only way to avoid this happening is to have a 'Basic' bank account, one that doesn't allow it to go overdrawn at all. I know that from experience as a long time back now I entered into a Debt Management Plan with several lenders, a condition of was I operated only a basic bank account. This would not allow any overdrawn status at all (the payment is rejected) and had some other safeguards like all card payments had to be approved - nothing would ever appear as pending.

I think the main reason banks allow payments to send you overdrawn is to impose excess interest, I don't think they can charge a fee anymore for going overdrawn.

unless the OP's linked ebay bank account is one of those 'basic' accounts, their presumed failsafe of only having limited funds in it won't work, which was what i was attempting to explain :smile:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
No Anne, no one turned up and nothing heard. I contacted the buyer via ebay yesterday evening and said if nothing heard in the near future I would cancel the sale and refund. Surprisingly I received a reply. (poor comms throughout this sale) He apologised, said he understood my frustration and said the courier had let him down. He said the courier would/should contact me tomorrow ( i.e today)
If that failed all he could do was get a different courier. Basically, he said all the right things. I said I would wait a little longer and reminded him the courier must have the relevant QR or 6 figure code or I would not release the bike.
It is no problem for me to hang on to the bike and I have had £455.00 of his money since the 14th mar. The only problem is waiting on a courier, will I get sufficient warning if I am away from home or will he just turn up ?

You're being very patient! I'd set a limit - say you need to hear by x that the courier will be coming on a certain date.

The longer this goes on the more dodgy it sounds.

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
You're being very patient! I'd set a limit - say you need to hear by x that the courier will be coming on a certain date.

The longer this goes on the more dodgy it sounds.

Yes Anne, I get your point. Not sure how the "dodgy" bit works ? any suggestions. I will probably cancel and refund tomorrow if no progress on pickup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
unless the OP's linked ebay bank account is one of those 'basic' accounts, their presumed failsafe of only having limited funds in it won't work, which was what i was attempting to explain :smile:

Why are people 'banging on' about the "Op's" bank account getting raided by ebay ? I will refund immediately I think the time is 'now'
Trust me £455.00 will not change my life. ^_^

P.S I have had two conversations with ebay customer services about this sale. They assure me it is all documented. So despite everyone's 'dire warnings' about ebay 'siding' with the buyer I feel pretty secure in my position.
I thank you all for your concern however. I know you mean well.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Why are people 'banging on' about the "Op's" bank account getting raided by ebay ? ...

I was responding to your idea that by only having £4 or so in the linked account meant Ebay wouldn't be able to refund £455 from that account. They probably could if they sided with the buyer and that'd leave your linked bank account £451overdrawn.

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
I was responding to your idea that by only having £4 or so in the linked account meant Ebay wouldn't be able to refund £455 from that account. They probably could if they sided with the buyer and that'd leave your linked bank account £451overdrawn.

Ok, I forgive you. 😀

Kingfisher101

Über Member
It's also all the waiting about for the courier, are they or arent they going to turn up? Presumably OP has other things to do rather than be sat in all day waiting for non existant couriers to turn up?
I'd just refund him and sell the bike locally.
Also a big company are not going to want to be messing about with Ebay codes etc. They simply will not have the time.

richardfm

Veteran
It's also all the waiting about for the courier, are they or arent they going to turn up? Presumably OP has other things to do rather than be sat in all day waiting for non existant couriers to turn up?
Also a big company are not going to want to be messing about with Ebay codes etc. They simply will not have the time.

It's not unusual for a courier to have to scan a code when they make a collection.

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran

Your a ray of sunshine aren't you Kingfisher101 ? 😂

Top Bottom