A question about Power banks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi and hope your all well.
At work I spend most of my time working off grid and I always like to have a radio to listen to.It can get a bit quiet here in rural Wales.
Years gone by ,I would use a conventional portable radio that took ordinary batteries ,but find it bothersome remembering to buy extra batteries, plus the costs soon mount up over the time.
So last year a bought a rechargeable DAB radio.
The battery nearly lasted a full day but it's now struggling to last half a day.
I thought instead of spending out decent money on a new radio,I would buy a cheap power bank to keep it going.Ive got my hands on a B&M Goodmans 10000mah one, but when it's connected to the radio the signal drops out.
I do however have another small radio that's mains powered.The plug that goes into it is a USB type.The radio is rated at 5v 1000ma and the power bank is rated at 5v 2.0A.
The reception seems to be really good on this one, and the power bank is holding up well.
Is this combination safe to use as it is.It would come in very handy for work and at home as the radio has got a nice sound from it.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Is this combination safe to use as it is

Yes.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Cheers
,I know it sounds a bit of a silly question to ask , but I was thinking that power banks where just solely to use to recharge over devices ,and not to run devices directly from them

Jameshow

Veteran
I have one and use it for cycling touring trips. Keeps phone and lights charged for a weekend.
Sometimes think if getting a bigger one for longer trips.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Probably neurotic, but I don’t like to charge them unsupervised

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
There's nothing neurotic about that @sheddy .
Even a small power bank can give off a nasty fire..
On you tube I've been watching some jokers messing around with small power banks ,and by just simply shorting them out results them going off like a fire work.Just imagine that going off in your house.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
When you sit down and think about it,it's surprising to how many lithium batteries we have in our homes.
Small granted but my bike has three on it.One for the Garmin and 2 for the front and rear lights.The cordless vacuum cleaner that's charging in the corner of my living room,the phone in using to type this out, My E cigarette, hair clippers and shaver and of course my new power bank.
Blimey even my smart watch and solar powered watch has one.
I'm sitting on a ticking time bomb 🥴

Top Bottom