A question for bread makers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Enriching a bread gives it better keeping qualities. A lean bread i.e. just flour, water, salt, yeast will go stale rather quickly. I add two tablespoons of rape seed oil to my loaves (made with 600g flour).

Also, just a thought. If you didn't get a good rise, just check the amount of salt you put in. Typically should be 2% salt for your quantity of flour - so I put 12g salt in my loaves. Too much salt acts as a yeast inhibitor, and you will end up with a house brick.
Thanks for that. TBH I stick to the menu book which is measured in the cup & spoons provided ie one cup of water/ three cups of flour/one spoon od salt etc.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
20181229_171648.jpg
Looks like a success......I will know for certain when its cooled down.
Thanks to all for the advice.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I never check the date on our (dried) yeast and have never had a problem with it in our Panasonic.
Genuine question, what difference does powdered milk make? I have never used it and the only "heavy" loaves I have made, have been gluten free ones.
It stops one's lactose intolerant relatives eating the bread?

I think milk bread used to be sold as "Danish" when I was growing up but I've no idea if that was a Midlands thing. Ordinary bread doesn't have milk in it and I've ignored recipes saying to use it on the few times I've used a bread maker and it seemed fine.

subaqua

What’s the point
I have no idea but the Morphy Richards menu book includes it in most menues.

Yeah most do . I substitute some of the water for milk and it works really well. Never had a problem with yeast near it’s use by date . Make sure yeast goes in so it can’t touch salt immediately

Could be the flour. Sometimes I get a duff bag and the bread doesn't rise normally. Like Ajax Boy I use the Allinson green tin yeast. Always a dash of Vit C powder too. About 1/3 strong white, 1/4 wholemeal and the rest a blend of wholemeal Spelt and Rye. Usually butter, sometimes oil. Panasonic every time

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Could be the flour. Sometimes I get a duff bag and the bread doesn't rise normally. Like Ajax Boy I use the Allinson green tin yeast. Always a dash of Vit C powder too. About 1/3 strong white, 1/4 wholemeal and the rest a blend of wholemeal Spelt and Rye. Usually butter, sometimes oil. Panasonic every time
Where do you get the Vit C powder? I have been crushing tablets which is a pain (unintentional pun there).

Late to the thread and looks like you've had success. For anybody who may find this thread in the future, I use yeast that comes in a can. It has both a best before date, and a note to say store in a cool place after opening, and use within 4 months. I've stretched the 4 months considerably, however it does lose effectiveness.

subaqua

What’s the point
Late to the thread and looks like you've had success. For anybody who may find this thread in the future, I use yeast that comes in a can. It has both a best before date, and a note to say store in a cool place after opening, and use within 4 months. I've stretched the 4 months considerably, however it does lose effectiveness.

been doing bread in a breadmaker for years. we wore out the spindle on first one a morphy Richards. the 2nd one is a kenwood and just as good. Currently debating what to do when we wear this one out - mixer and dough hook or full on breadmaker.

we never had good results with supermarket own brand strong flour, used to use redbournebury mill https://www.redbournburymill.co.uk/ but then the price rose significantly at the place we used to get it and the mill wouldnt sell online at that point.

we also dont follow the instructions/recipe exactly and got much better results by adapting till it worked. science or art ... hmm not sure . bit of both.

best thing about sunday morning is waking up to smell of warm fresh bread to have proper bacon butties with

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
FWIW I don’t use a bread maker, I either mix by hand or use my Kenwood mixer with a dough hook, sometimes I make a cider loaf with whole meal flour and sometimes a white loaf, with milk and butter.

Always keep the salt away from the yeast as much as possible, but you need the salt for flavour and to stabilise the dough. Whatever liquid in the recipe it’s always warmed up a bit. Sometimes I use sugar, or honey, or syrup, depending on what is in the cupboard.

I’ve recently discovered Dove Farm yeast, and had good results with that.

Wessex Farm flour is very good and local to me too, so I can feel a bit self righteous about the low food miles.

Allinson's white bread flour is my go-to for everyday bread, although Waitrose's Leckford Estate produces a mighty fine loaf.

The best wholemeal bread flour I've tried is Tesco's own brand.

For rye flour, I'll either have the Waitrose own brand or the Bacheldre Mills.

Yeast is Allinson's, but as I make my bread by hand, I use the yellow tin as opposed to the green (which requires activation in water prior to use). or I make sourdough.

Top Bottom