A question for bread makers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I use a Morphy Richards bread maker.
My 'normal' loaf is a wholewheat but I mix strong white flower to make it lighter.
I usually have good success BUT.......
my last 2 have not risen well and the bread was too "heavy" to eat (the birds enjoyed it though ^_^).
Mrs D reckons its because the yeast is near its use by date (not passed it) .......she says its critical to use very fresh yeast.
I noticed the milk powder & sunflower oil are also out of date.
I have just put another one on to bake and have used new yeast and new milk powder.
I will report back.....hopefully with a ^_^ and not a :sad:
Any thoughts ??

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I have the Morphy Richards bread maker too, I do keep a check in the yeast and dump it if anywhere near to out of date mark as it is not worth taking the risk, well it's a waste of electric and ingredients, as for the powdered milk I don't use it simple as that and all my loafs rise well.

Slick

Guru
I worked in a bake house as a boy and whilst it paid a pittance it remains my favourite job to date.
I still bake my own bread from time to time but just in the oven not a bread maker as I never really understood what it is they actually do.

As for the question, Mrs D is probably right if you are doing everything else correct, but without knowing exactly how a bread maker works it's also important to rest the dough before proving it but i suppose that's what the machine is for?

It's probably old fashioned now and not much use to a part time baker but our yeast came in blocks like wet cheese which had to be chilled very quickly to keep it fresh.

Yeah, sounds like the yeast.

Dried yeast will lose it's "oomph" after a while. Always best to test it first in some tepid water with a pinch of sugar if you're not sure. If it foams, your yeast is probably fine and then it may be one of the other ingredients that's the problem.

What proportion of wholegrain flour do you use @Dave7 ? Anything much above 50% will give you a pretty dense loaf anyway. My breads are typically around 30% wholegrain - although I bake mine in the oven like @Slick

P.S. You can still get block yeast. I know that Tesco stores that have an ISB will give you a wee bit for free if you ask very nicely.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I never check the date on our (dried) yeast and have never had a problem with it in our Panasonic.
Genuine question, what difference does powdered milk make? I have never used it and the only "heavy" loaves I have made, have been gluten free ones.

Slick

Guru

Dried yeast will lose it's "oomph" after a while. Always best to test it first in some tepid water with a pinch of sugar if you're not sure. If it foams, your yeast is probably fine and then it may be one of the other ingredients that's the problem.

What proportion of wholegrain flour do you use @Dave7 ? Anything much above 50% will give you a pretty dense loaf anyway. My breads are typically around 30% wholegrain - although I bake mine in the oven like @Slick

P.S. You can still get block yeast. I know that Tesco stores that have an ISB will give you a wee bit for free if you ask very nicely.

Didn't know that. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member

I use approx 70/30 wholegrain but will change that to 50/50 in future.
Just checked on this loaf. Still 60 minutes to go but it seems to be good.
Thanks for the tip for testing the yeast. I had never heard of that.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I never check the date on our (dried) yeast and have never had a problem with it in our Panasonic.
Genuine question, what difference does powdered milk make? I have never used it and the only "heavy" loaves I have made, have been gluten free ones.
I have no idea but the Morphy Richards menu book includes it in most menues.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Panasonic SD-2500 here (second one).
Bake about 5 loaves a week, normally 20% wholemeal, 80% white and use one teaspoonful of Allinson 'Easy Bake' yeast (green tub 100g) a time. That lasts about 6 weeks (30 loaves) and the BBE date on those is normally about two years on (eg mine is 09-2020). It says "Use within 4 months of opening".
Unless you're baking loaves only occasionally, the yeast should be fine.
Don't think the milk powder makes a blind bit of difference to the the baking but its a good source of vitamins A, D and Calcium.
I use an egg instead of 40ml of water, fwiw.
And I use luke warm water (?30 degC) rather than cold, and olive oil instead of butter.
Very occasionally have 'fails' but often there seems no reason (bang in another one with same source ingredients and it's fine), except the times I've left the paddle out. (when the reason is 'clear').

Last edited:
I have no idea but the Morphy Richards menu book includes it in most menues.

Enriching a bread gives it better keeping qualities. A lean bread i.e. just flour, water, salt, yeast will go stale rather quickly. I add two tablespoons of rape seed oil to my loaves (made with 600g flour).

Also, just a thought. If you didn't get a good rise, just check the amount of salt you put in. Typically should be 2% salt for your quantity of flour - so I put 12g salt in my loaves. Too much salt acts as a yeast inhibitor, and you will end up with a house brick.

Top Bottom