A question for filterers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I regularly filter. If you filter sensibly at sub-10mph speeds, then the fastest you'll be doing if someone 'doors' you is 10 mph.....probably a bit less if you have chance to brake, so you'll not be badly harmed. It's at your own risk, but I personally get a lot of enjoyment from filtering safely.

potsy

Rambler
Have had to do a bit of filtering this week coming home, usually travel 'off peak' so am not really very experienced at it, I have been careful and done quite well I think for a novice.
Used the outside when needed, and the inside when it looked safe, always slowed to less than 10mph and kept a watch out for doors opening.

Good fun I have to say, I'd hate to be a driver in it though :giggle:

sidevalve

Über Member
I agree filtering is bit of a risk but as above keep the speed down and I for one never had a problem ['course I was young and stupid then and wouldn't have remembered if I had !]
However I do have 1 point - you then become the overtaking vehicle and as has been pointed out many times on here it's the overtakers responsibility to make sure it's safe to do so.

hillrep

Veteran
I do quite a lot of filtering, but always slowly. Doors are one risk, but a more frequent one is pedestrians crossing between cars with the "traffic is stopped so I don't have to look" attitude. They are at their most dangerous when hidden behind tall vehicles until the last possible moment.

HovR

Über Member
My commute involves quite a few (very) poorly designed junctions and traffic controlled roundabouts, which the traffic tends to back up on quite a lot, and if you sit in the queue you could often wait 2 or 3 traffic light phases before getting through the lights, so I tend to do a lot of filtering.

99% of my filtering is on the right, which partly reduces the risk of getting doored, as passengers are less likely to want to step out into traffic! As others have said, keeping the speed reasonable and hands covering the brakes also reduces the risks. Haven't had any issues yet.

spen666

Legendary Member

I haven't got access to the relevant case law, but it iscorrect the driver would be liable in such circumstances. Still, as said above, its not much consolation when you are in A&E.

Remember- treat it as every road user is an idiot and liable to do the unexpected

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I was going to point out that IIRC the driver is responsible if the passengers are under-aged, and the passengers are responsible for themselves if past the age of majority.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
1833343 said:
Are you sure about this Spen? Obviously you are a lawyer so I would normally bow to your judgement on these things but

[2001]

Summary

Subject: Negligence

<snipped> As H had acknowledged that the area was unsafe, he should have taken steps to prevent the passenger opening the door into a line of traffic by either keeping the doors locked or by telling the passenger not to get out on the nearside of the cab; accordingly H was negligent.

As I read it, the case you quote supports Spen's assertion so I'm not sure about your "I would normally bow to your judgement on these things but" comment. Do you read it differently?

GC

As I read it, the case you quote supports Spen's assertion so I'm not sure about your "I would normally bow to your judgement on these things but" comment. Do you read it differently?

GC

There is also the aspect that in the case quoted, nobody was endangered even if a door and taxi wing got dented. It would therefore probably not fall within the legislation. On a cycle it's difficult not to be endangered if someone flings a door open on you. I do recall also some case law from a motorcycle case though that you have to be exercising caution. Racing through on the left when the door is opened will not help your case

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
When ever I'm a passenger in a car, as well as checking myself (as well as I can, sometimes it is difficult to look over your shoulder on the window side if you're still strapped in) I ask the driver if it is clear to open the door. They can check the mirrors and check behind easier than a passenger.
I've not had the misfortune of being doored but often do filter in both the right and left, depending on where I'm going at the junction. If left lane is left and straight on and I want to be left I'll filter in the left, for instance.

+Another for covering the brakes and being aware of peds crossing, vehicles turning right, (across your line of travel, to your left) and the passenger taking the opportunity to get out whilst vehicle is stationary. There is always going to be someone who'll do the unexpected.

Brandane

Legendary Member

GC

I think he's misread "iscorrect" as incorrect. The confusion that a missing space can make! :smile:

Top Bottom