A question for non-helmet wearers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Last year I was on the way out and remembered it for the firt time in weeks. On the way home I had a big off and realised the big deep scrapes and broken peak on my helmet would have been my head and face. As it was, I ended up having an operation on my hand and staying in hospital for 4 days.

I never leave home without a helmet now and I wonder how many riders have got to have an experience like mine before they realise that riding with a helmet is not a bad idea after all.
If I had an experience of being seriously injured on one of the few times that I wore a certain piece of clothing, I think I might realise that that clothing might not be as great as it's claimed to be and investigate the evidence and statistics.

As it was, it took much longer to connect a neck injury with helmet use, then look at the evidence and stop using.

icowden

Veteran
No, but the part of the hat that covers the forehead would definitely have protected my beak significantly. The nose is mostly cartillage. The nose bone doesn't protrude much further foreward than the forehead. The hat is at least 2cm thick at the forehead.

And yes an obvious counter measure is not to do it. I have never done it since. But had I been wearing a hat when I did do it, I would have saved my nose fro ma great deal of discomfort.

We tend to think that "it will never happen to me". My experience is that no matter how observant you are, sometimes the unexpected can happen. Personally I would always recommend a hat. It does no harm.

classic33

Leg End Member
If I had an experience of being seriously injured on one of the few times that I wore a certain piece of clothing, I think I might realise that that clothing might not be as great as it's claimed to be and investigate the evidence and statistics.

As it was, it took much longer to connect a neck injury with helmet use, then look at the evidence and stop using.
Eye protection goggles worn to stop flies hitting your eyes, were designed so that the plastic shield would stop any stray bits impacting the eyes. The sides can do a fair job of cutting the skin if the impact is large enough. It's not even measured in case of impact.

How long before people stop using something for which it's not been designed, and certainly isn't tested for?

classic33

Leg End Member
No, but the part of the hat that covers the forehead would definitely have protected my beak significantly. The nose is mostly cartillage. The nose bone doesn't protrude much further foreward than the forehead. The hat is at least 2cm thick at the forehead.

And yes an obvious counter measure is not to do it. I have never done it since. But had I been wearing a hat when I did do it, I would have saved my nose fro ma great deal of discomfort.

We tend to think that "it will never happen to me". My experience is that no matter how observant you are, sometimes the unexpected can happen. Personally I would always recommend a hat. It does no harm.
I wear one because I want to. A full-face helmet gives protection to the back and sides of the head. An ordinary one doesn't.

classic33

Leg End Member
So what do you think injured my neck and stopped injuring it once I stopped using a helmet?

And at the population level, why don't injury rates fall when helmet use rates increase?

It seems it's not completely harmless.
That equates to hitting yourself with a hammer, then realising if you don't have the hammer with you it doesn't hurt.

I've done more damage to the skull & neck whilst not cycling, than I have cycling. Should I stop cycling or stop the normal everyday activities?

18 days ago, I cracked the skull, hurt the neck and shoulders, all whilst sat in the same place I am now.

Drago

Legendary Member
Protection for me. I've seen life changing loss of use of a hand following a high speed hand-tarmac spatial incompatibility event.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
... So I ask those of you who not normally wear one your opinion on my choice. Namely if you had looked death in a face and gotten away with it would still not put one on when you pop into town etc?
I never wear them and I won't ever wear one unless I am forced to. If I ever get to the Transcontinental Race, I will wear one, but only because I have huge repect for the organisers and I couldn't not race it if I got the chance. Sportives can go home.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Is this The Hand of The King that we are talking about?

ttp%3A%2F%2Fimg.wennermedia.com%2F920-width%2Frs-137257-1f3799037f23c80b716c9892f07b8f7d91decf0a.jpg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Interesting you wore a lid, but not gloves or mitts, when hand injuries are a far more common result of tumbling off a bike.

I was wearing gloves but they dont stop your fingers from breaking and tendons from snapping and skin from splitting.

Top Bottom