A question for non-helmet wearers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Again, I nearly always wear gloves (tend not too if it is really hot!) as every little helps. Plus in winter I have bright fluorescent ones, very handy for clear signalling.

viniga

Guru
I wear helmet and gloves 99.9% of the time.

I've had a few offs over the years and only one has involved the noggin. The only serious one was this year when racing and I landed on my head and right shoulder at exactly 21.1mph (according to my Garmin) and then slid along the road on my back. In this particular accident my head would have connected with the road whether wearing the helmet or not.

I was wearing a TT style helmet with visor and cheek covers. The result was a scratched visor and cheek piece, saving my face from the scratches, a cracked helmet internally above my right-eye. I was still a bit concussed and had a hell of a shiner - but the helmet potentially saved me from a fractured skull. Road rash on my fingers where my gloves didn't cover them and road rash on my back. Finally a broken collar bone.

I continue to wear helmet and gloves pretty much as a matter of habit.

No other fall from my bike has ever involved my head. I offer this as a matter of interest and not as evidence of the effectiveness or lack thereof of helmets but I did and still will wear them.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Indeed, but the biggest danger is abrasion against the road surface. Decent gloves or mitts prevent your skin, muscle and tendons from being abraded down to the bone.
And they did that. But like I said it doesnt stop your fingers breaking and your skin splitting like a sausage. They do stop gravel rash though.

Drago

Legendary Member
Within reason, you can recover from broken bones, usually very well. Recovery from having an inch of tendon ground off is liable to be pretty posh poor.

You're right, with hands it's difficult to guard against fractures, but that's not what is liable to leave you with life long impairment.

There's only two things I won't cycle without. Gloves & glasses. I can't stand riding without either. Gloves can be fingerless when it's warmer or wafer thin when timetrialling but I've just got to have them. Glasses can be shaded or not as appropriate but again, I just can't ride without them. Sorry, I digress. As you were.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Can't say I have had any large timber framed structures fall on me when cycling.

I don't wear a helmet when cycling for the same reasons I do not wear one when walking or running.
^^This^^

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

So I ask those of you who not normally wear one your opinion on my choice. Namely if you had looked death in a face and gotten away with it would still not put one on when you pop into town etc?

No. If people asked me why i'm wearing a helmet in town and i reply "A log fell on my head a while back... now I wear my helmet all the time, just in case." they'd probably reply with :wacko:. Plus, I'd keep knocking it on the A frame when getting in and out of the car.

boydj

Legendary Member
There's only two things I won't cycle without. Gloves & glasses. I can't stand riding without either. Gloves can be fingerless when it's warmer or wafer thin when timetrialling but I've just got to have them. Glasses can be shaded or not as appropriate but again, I just can't ride without them. Sorry, I digress. As you were.

Me too. Glasses are essential, mainly for eye protection, but also to improve the vision with my distance prescription. I've got to add a cap (makes me look 10 years younger) to prevent sunburn in the summer, with a skull-cap added to prevent cold ears in the winter.

Helmets just make your head bigger and heavier and more likely to hit harder if you come off. The protection they give is much overrated.

Top Bottom