A question for people who wear prescription glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi and hope you're all well,
Yesterday I picked up my new glasses.
I've never had any before and wanted to ask a few questions to the people in the know.
My first impressions when I put them on yesterday was to how much general detail I had lost in my eyesight.Colours seem more vivid too.
Anyway my questions concerns to the way my eyes are adapting to them.
I feel like I'm looking through a goldfish bowl (slight exaggeration) but it does feel a bit like that.My eyesight also seems to be alittle blurry with them too on occasions e.g looking at my phone for instance.Looking down at the ground Infront also looks a bit disconcerting at times and wearing them in the dark.Today driving the car they also felt slightly strange for the first time.I didn't feel confident (but it was nice to be able to see the speedometer again)
Is this a natural process and should I be patient and give it time for my eyes and my overworked Braincell to adjust.I operate some heavy/dangerous truck machinery at work and I need the confidence to know I can use it safely.
Many thanks for reading and replies given,

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How old are you, as I've been wearing glasses since late teens, but can't see screens that clear within a foot or so - I'm short sighted, but age means I really need varifocals - I flip my glasses down to read my phone or watch screen now (54 shortly).

Drago

Legendary Member
It takes a few days to get used to new binos. Varifocals?

I wear varies myself for general wear, but keep reading glasses for close work and driving glasses for, er, driving. I can read and drive with the varis just fine but specific glasses are better for tasks such as that. Varis don't work so well with smaller lenses it you're thinking of getting them.

I've needed reading glasses for 6 years and normal glasses for daily wear for 3. You soon adjust to wearing them and, as you say, it can be quite noticeable how bad your eyes had become.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've been wearing glasses since the age of 5, apart from a few years wearing contact lenses. These days it's varifocals and, as I'm very short-sighted, I bought the best I could.

It can take a while to get used to wearing them but, as with hearing aids, you pick up detail that your brain no longer processes since it's not clear enough.

Varifocals can distort your vision, horizontal lines get bent, etc. Or at least that's what my mum experienced.

I've been wearing glasses for about 44 years. Mostly they feel free a bit strange for a few hours but occasionally a new prescription takes longer. One pair took me about two or three weeks of wearing my new ones at home but my old ones out and about.

You need to give them time. However if after a few weeks they're not working out then go back to your opticians as they might not be made right for your prescription. Most get it close but the slight difference in the focal point might be enough to be wrong for you.

Mike_P

Guru
Depending on the prescription varifocals may need smaller lens. The new glasses I got after my last eye test were a touch too large and I struggled reading for example shelf price labels in shops. Had new lenses put in my previous glasses which were a bit smaller and the problem disappeared.

roley poley

Über Member
It can be so ..as a bi focal wearer my brain had to learn not to take fright at a set of down steps as it seemed different to what my "autopilot"expected it to be ...you can learn by repeated experience what the world is with new lenses ...it will get better for your benefit

Top Bottom