A question for people who wear prescription glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
When I got my varifocals the optician made it clear that they were on a trial basis and if I didn't get on with them I could return them and get my money back. Not everyone can use them.

They do sometimes make horizontal lines appear curved. I can read with them but prefer to switch to my proper reading glasses for that. But it's nice to be able to see the prices in shops.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I tried varifocals a few years ago and wasn’t happy with them so went back and got separate reading and distance ones. It does get a nuisance swapping back and forward though, so might be tempted to try them again at my next check up. Maybe if I persevere a bit longer.

Drago

Legendary Member
When I got my varifocals the optician made it clear that they were on a trial basis and if I didn't get on with them I could return them and get my money back. Not everyone can use them.

They do sometimes make horizontal lines appear curved. I can read with them but prefer to switch to my proper reading glasses for that. But it's nice to be able to see the prices in shops.

Aye, same as me. Varifocals for general use and I can survive the whole day with just them, but for reading and driving I prefer specific glasses. I have an impressive amount of binos stashed in various locations around the house and car.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Varifocals are a bit weird to begin with. I remember first riding a bike while wearing them - it felt distinctly unsafe. I wear mine all the time now.

I also remember my dad getting his first pair of bifocals and somehow getting his tie into his dinner, much to the amusement of us children. Amusement that he did not share.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've been wearing glasses for near vision since 2010. I didn't have any problems with the first few pairs but I have to move my head backwards and forwards to get different sized text in focus with the most recent ones. I took them back to Specsavers and asked if they had put the correct lenses in them. They took them away for about 30 seconds, bought them back and said 'yes'. I've gone back to wearing my old ones.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I tried varifocals a few years ago and wasn’t happy with them so went back and got separate reading and distance ones. It does get a nuisance swapping back and forward though, so might be tempted to try them again at my next check up. Maybe if I persevere a bit longer.

I have separate reading and distance glasses. The reading need came much later in life and my distance prescription hadn’t changed.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Be extra careful when going up and down any steps like footpath to road etc, stairs. Also be careful when cruising road because the frame can obstruct view. Ditto when driving because peripheral vision is reduced (due to frame).

Would recommend not driving until you are accustomed to the glasses.

About your question though: takes a few days.

Drago

Legendary Member
I was born with glasses

I bet your Mum squealed when she gave birth.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Like @DCLane I've been wearing spectacles since the age of five, only I'm waaay older than him. For most of my adult life I wore the NHS " Lennons " as they were perfect for running being so light and minimalist. When I eventually switched to varifocals it took me several days to get used to them. Vision is a fascinating subject, a great deal of what we " see " is actually our brain filling in what we expect to see.
Although I am very short sighted my close vision at about 25cm is very acute so I ofter take off my glasses to read fine detail close up. Anyway, long story short, give it several days and all should be well.

Varifocals vary in design. There's a kind of hourglass lens effect in them and this can have a bigger or smaller top/ bottom section according to requirements. You do need a good optician to help with getting this extra choice right. It's all about how you want to use them or the distance you find most important. Some better for driving but less so for reading for example.

I'm OK. I don't need varifocals or reading glasses. I just need longer arms!

Like @DCLane I've been wearing spectacles since the age of five, only I'm waaay older than him. For most of my adult life I wore the NHS " Lennons " as they were perfect for running being so light and minimalist. When I eventually switched to varifocals it took me several days to get used to them. Vision is a fascinating subject, a great deal of what we " see " is actually our brain filling in what we expect to see.
Although I am very short sighted my close vision at about 25cm is very acute so I ofter take off my glasses to read fine detail close up. Anyway, long story short, give it several days and all should be well.

If I put something with fine detail up to my nose with my glasses off I get absolutely perfect vision of what I'm looking at. It's in fine detail like a microscope! If I'm having difficulties reading something I just bring it up to my face and look over the top of my glasses to see it. I am either side of minus ten prescription.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I struggle with varifocals especially when walking. Steps are tricky, you do get used to them but even after several years I’ve never been comfortable. They are good for computer use where you are some distance from the screen yet need to glance down and fine for watching the tv. I also use them in seminars where you need to read detail on a screen. In the end I got some reading glasses for prolonged close work and manage ok without when driving, walking or cycling.

Top Bottom