A Question for the Ladies...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

laurene

Hi there - am doing my first century in a few weeks. Where do I need put this booty butter stuff? I rode 65 miles and didn't need it.....but also on this vein, the very top (most sensitive) of my lady parts starts to hurt at about 50 miles...is this seat positioning or a chamois butter issue? I feel as though I'm rolled forward on the seat....and maybe this isn't good positioning? Thanks!!! l

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I never use cream. No knickers under your padded shorts, and make sure you stand up in the pedals now and then (whether or not there are hills) to give some of your bits a rest. If it still hurts, you may need a different saddle.

Good luck with your first century!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi Laurene, and welcome!
If you feel fine without the "butter" don't use it.
It's supposed to be liberally spread where chafing occurs.
As for the saddle, try a spirit level to set it straight. I like mine level, some like the nose a bit up or a bit down.
If you are sliding down, could also be your reach to the bars is too far.
Google how to adjust this on your type of bike.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I don't use the chamois cream, it feels weird to me. My saddle points ever so slightly nose down, just a smidgette. I also have a ladies specific saddle with an open channel along the middle to take pressure off my lady bits.

I get off my bike every hour or so for a few mins or stand up on my pedals from time to time.

lpretro1

Go get a bike fit - make sure yuor position is the best one. A lot of aches/pains/sore spots can go when bike fits properly

yerteasoot

I do wear chamois cream on really long rides, I use the assos one it's a bit dear but I really like it, suppose it's up to the individual but that's what I prefer and it works for me

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Ignore the creams for now, chances are the issue is saddle position related. Make sure it's level and maybe move it forward a couple of mm at a time

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I know its a Ladies question but it does apply to all of us.

If you have cream already, use it. It cannot do any harm and it has anticeptic in it in case you start chaffing. Slap it on liberally, I am sure you know already where there is a chance of chaffing.

Getting your saddle set right is a very personal thing. I use a spirit level to set mine straight and then lift the nose about 2 mm. When you go on a ride take the correct allen keys to adjust the angle of the seat and the height of the seat. I need 2 allen keys to do this. If you want to change things, make very small adjustments and ride again. You will get there in the end. When you get it right measure the height and angle of the seat and write it down. I wrote mine on the wall of my shed so I dont forget. Particularly handy if you have more than one bike.

Reactions: PBB

fimm

Veteran
Sounds like a pressure rather than a chafing issue? In which case the advice on saddle position/angle is sound.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you have cream already, use it. It cannot do any harm and it has anticeptic in it in case you start chaffing. Slap it on liberally, I am sure you know already where there is a chance of chaffing.
If you're neglecting the basics of clean shorts/underwear (and many such things prefer a simple detergent and no fabric conditioner) and changing as soon as reasonably possible after getting too sweaty - or if there's some ingredient in the cream that you're sensitive to - then I'm assured cream can make an uncomfortable situation worse.

I'm pretty sure chamois creams started when shorts pads were actual chamois that would dry, crack and fester if not treated, didn't they? Modern creams are basically a palliative. Cycling shouldn't chafe - it shouldn't hurt at all ordinarily - we're not all masochists, you know! So I agree with everyone who said to fix the saddle/padding position/angle/shape if you can (although I'm no fan of expensive bike fits or even saddle fits, but I'd probably try one if other attempts failed), but if you have a useful cream then I'd probably use it until it's not needed.

“I’m very skeptical of chamois cream, especially when people put it on like with a spade!” says Pooley. “I think if you’ve got good shorts and the right saddle, you don’t need to use heaps and heaps of chamois cream. But some of them are anti-bacterial which can be quite good, so use just a bit.”

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have good padded shorts, a good saddle and I use cream . I dont get saddle sores, regardless of how far I ride. Its a combination that works for me.

Reactions: mjr
I have never used cream and have cycled plenty of comfortable miles. Your issue could be the saddle type, it could be the nose to high, it could just be you are not stopping often enough and allowing blood back into that area. Standing on the pedals helps, as does stopping and just standing over the bike.

One question for you? Does anywhere else on your backside or nether regions hurt at all? I ask because if elsewhere hurts it is probably the saddle/saddle style. If nowhere else hurts and you are happy with the cycling shorts/tights/longs you are wearing, then it is probably the angle of the nose on the saddle and dropping it every so slightly (and it only needs to be a very minor adjustment) will probably deal with the issue. OK, second question: If you are wearing padded cycling tights/shorts/longs, are they female specific ones? I ask because the padding is totally different for a woman and you do need female specific ones here I am afraid.

I had the same problem doing similar mileage particularly when using the drops. Problem was sorted by changing the saddle to a Selle Italia Diva which is longer than other womens saddles and has a good open channel in the right place and at the same time isn't too wide. Some people don't like channelled saddles claiming they cause friction on other parts but I haven't had any problems since changing. I don't use body butter but carry some Sudocrem when touring with the intention of using it as a safeguard but I rarely remember to use it..

Top Bottom