A Question for the Ladies...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jefmcg

Guru
I am not particularly fond of the "central heating effect" down below: only use padded if distance and terrain require it.
Has to be at least a 50 miler on the rough canal :laugh:
A brooks saddle - nice, breathable leather, with holes in it - helped with that.

As for base layers on the bottom half, I always put padded shorts first - the same ones I wear in summer, then base layer on top of that. I tend to use merino tights from aldi/lidl, and they are enough for most weathers. I have a pair of proper, thick lycra winter tights (unpadded, but designed for cycling) that I wear in colder weather, again over my summer shorts. I could wear the base layer under the thermal tights, but I have a high internal furnace and a fear of black ice, so it's never been cold enough when I have gone cycling to need to do that.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Pat "5mph" I was commuting every day and couldn't face washing padded shorts every day, hence the M&S seam free pants. Seriously, they are ace! Hardly know you are wearing them.
I don't need padding for less than 50 miles. Actually, if I'm allowed to ride at my slowwww speed i.e. not trying to keep up with others, I don't really need padding ever.
Must be my natural bouncy bottom :laugh:

sarahale

Über Member
I commute in Jeggings. I wear jogging 3 quarter lengths for anything recreational up to about 30 miles. After that I wear my padded shorts with nothing underneath (way more comfy) All 3 clothing items are skin tight.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Actually, if I'm allowed to ride at my slowwww speed i.e. not trying to keep up with others, I don't really need padding ever.
Must be my natural bouncy bottom :laugh:
And I thought my reason was the opposite! I think pootling slowly is less tough "down below" than leaning forward onto bits that aren't really designed for balancing upon.

Plus I don't understand why sportive preachers are so scathing about comfy gel saddles and then go stuff their underwear with even squishier stuff...

jefmcg

Guru
Time for Dilbert

dilbert.gif

Profpointy

Legendary Member
whilst I enjoy the Dilbert logic, and you can't fault it, there is a bit of a "false choice" argument. You need a comfy saddlen, which for me is a brooks, the cycle shorts aren't needed but are still a "good thing" . I'm a bloke, but theory is same. Had a crap saddle : crippling pain , bought Brooks (more to the point a good sadlle which suited me) no pain 70miles plus. 30 years later bought cycle shorts - a lot more convenient and slighlty mor comfortable again

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
@seraphina you're supposed to go commando (wear nothing) under cycling shorts :smile:
I once had a couple of lady friends try to yank down my cycling shorts 'for a laugh'. Later on at the pub, they said "I do hope you were wearing something under those shorts". I could have cooked marsh mallows on their red faces when they realised they almost got an eyeful of my tackle. :laugh:

fimm

Veteran
I don't think your lady friends should have been trying to remove your shorts whether they thought you were wearing underwear or not - how would they have liked it if you'd tried to remove their shorts?!

mickle

innit
For the record: the primary purpose of chamois cream is to 'stick' the shorts to the arse. So that any movement (= friction = discomfort and heat) is between the shorts and the saddle rather than between the shorts and the nethers.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I don't think your lady friends should have been trying to remove your shorts whether they thought you were wearing underwear or not - how would they have liked it if you'd tried to remove their shorts?!
While I totally believe it!
I've seen ladies trying to peek under a gentleman's kilt.
The consumption of large quantities of booze might have been the culprit of this indiscretion, not by me I haste to add.

fimm

Veteran
While I totally believe it!
I've seen ladies trying to peek under a gentleman's kilt.
The consumption of large quantities of booze might have been the culprit of this indiscretion, not by me I haste to add.
Yes, I've heard men complain about women trying to look up their kilts. Drunk or not, that's well out of order.

Top Bottom