A Question for the Ladies...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am not particularly fond of the "central heating effect" down below: only use padded if distance and terrain require it.
Has to be at least a 50 miler on the rough canal :laugh:
A brooks saddle - nice, breathable leather, with holes in it - helped with that.

As for base layers on the bottom half, I always put padded shorts first - the same ones I wear in summer, then base layer on top of that. I tend to use merino tights from aldi/lidl, and they are enough for most weathers. I have a pair of proper, thick lycra winter tights (unpadded, but designed for cycling) that I wear in colder weather, again over my summer shorts. I could wear the base layer under the thermal tights, but I have a high internal furnace and a fear of black ice, so it's never been cold enough when I have gone cycling to need to do that.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Pat "5mph" I was commuting every day and couldn't face washing padded shorts every day, hence the M&S seam free pants. Seriously, they are ace! Hardly know you are wearing them.
I don't need padding for less than 50 miles. Actually, if I'm allowed to ride at my slowwww speed i.e. not trying to keep up with others, I don't really need padding ever.
Must be my natural bouncy bottom :laugh:

sarahale

Über Member
I commute in Jeggings. I wear jogging 3 quarter lengths for anything recreational up to about 30 miles. After that I wear my padded shorts with nothing underneath (way more comfy) All 3 clothing items are skin tight.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Actually, if I'm allowed to ride at my slowwww speed i.e. not trying to keep up with others, I don't really need padding ever.
Must be my natural bouncy bottom :laugh:
And I thought my reason was the opposite! I think pootling slowly is less tough "down below" than leaning forward onto bits that aren't really designed for balancing upon.

Plus I don't understand why sportive preachers are so scathing about comfy gel saddles and then go stuff their underwear with even squishier stuff...

Time for Dilbert

dilbert.gif

Profpointy

Legendary Member
whilst I enjoy the Dilbert logic, and you can't fault it, there is a bit of a "false choice" argument. You need a comfy saddlen, which for me is a brooks, the cycle shorts aren't needed but are still a "good thing" . I'm a bloke, but theory is same. Had a crap saddle : crippling pain , bought Brooks (more to the point a good sadlle which suited me) no pain 70miles plus. 30 years later bought cycle shorts - a lot more convenient and slighlty mor comfortable again

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
@seraphina you're supposed to go commando (wear nothing) under cycling shorts :smile:
I once had a couple of lady friends try to yank down my cycling shorts 'for a laugh'. Later on at the pub, they said "I do hope you were wearing something under those shorts". I could have cooked marsh mallows on their red faces when they realised they almost got an eyeful of my tackle. :laugh:

fimm

Veteran
I don't think your lady friends should have been trying to remove your shorts whether they thought you were wearing underwear or not - how would they have liked it if you'd tried to remove their shorts?!

For the record: the primary purpose of chamois cream is to 'stick' the shorts to the arse. So that any movement (= friction = discomfort and heat) is between the shorts and the saddle rather than between the shorts and the nethers.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I don't think your lady friends should have been trying to remove your shorts whether they thought you were wearing underwear or not - how would they have liked it if you'd tried to remove their shorts?!
While I totally believe it!
I've seen ladies trying to peek under a gentleman's kilt.
The consumption of large quantities of booze might have been the culprit of this indiscretion, not by me I haste to add.

fimm

Veteran
While I totally believe it!
I've seen ladies trying to peek under a gentleman's kilt.
The consumption of large quantities of booze might have been the culprit of this indiscretion, not by me I haste to add.
Yes, I've heard men complain about women trying to look up their kilts. Drunk or not, that's well out of order.

Top Bottom