A question for those with modern smart meters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
There are a row of LED lights (green and red) that flash every few (maybe 5) seconds.
Question being.........
Should they do this??

BTW since it was fitted (a few weeks ago) this is the 1st time I have looked at it so I don't know.
Thanks

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
There are a row of LED lights (green and red) that flash every few (maybe 5) seconds.
Question being.........
Should they do this??

BTW since it was fitted (a few weeks ago) this is the 1st time I have looked at it so I don't know.
Thanks

Yes

tom73

Guru
Even if they are showing as working they may not be one of ours has been going wrong for months now.
No one is willing to sort it and no one will give any idea as to when it may be fixed.

Petrichorwheels

Even if they are showing as working they may not be one of ours has been going wrong for months now.
No one is willing to sort it and no one will give any idea as to when it may be fixed.

yep there is an ongoing issue I think.
I know someone who had a nonfunctioning British Gas one and was a hell of a job to get it fixed involving multiple calls around the planet, long waits to call centres, hangings-up.
You'd think if there were so damn smart it could all be sorted remotely but it needed a visit and arranging that was a pig with no idea if the bloke would turn up on the day.
Personally I feel no need for a smart meter.
I could be tempted by discounts for smart energy usage but reckon such promos will be short lived anyway.
Question - if you should give in to the constant calls to get a smart meter, can you just unplug it as a customer and go back to the old system of reading your hopefully well positioned meters and sending regular readings online?

tom73

Guru
yep there is an ongoing issue I think.
I know someone who had a nonfunctioning British Gas one and was a hell of a job to get it fixed involving multiple calls around the planet, long waits to call centres, hangings-up.
You'd think if there were so damn smart it could all be sorted remotely but it needed a visit and arranging that was a pig with no idea if the bloke would turn up on the day.
Personally I feel no need for a smart meter.
I could be tempted by discounts for smart energy usage but reckon such promos will be short lived anyway.
Question - if you should give in to the constant calls to get a smart meter, can you just unplug it as a customer and go back to the old system of reading your hopefully well positioned meters and sending regular readings online?

In reply to the last bit no you can't. The display you have at home is nothing to do with the meter. The only way to unplug the meter is switch it off you cant go back to old type either. Lucky ours are outside so easy to read and send online.
In my case i've questioned them not meeting service paid via standing charge. To be told can't have it replaced as it's still working. Told them well it's not is it as it not smart anymore.
They say 1st gen meters fall off the grid. So they can't read them but yet they still get info from it as they know it working and sending readings. They just can't get them off the central data base asked who runs it was told they don't know :wacko:. Its endless round and round told Smart meter team are working on it . Won't do anything till they say what happening , won't replace till they are told it can't be fixed.
One time they told me they can't access system as it was put in by a different company. When I pointed out they'd fitted it they agreed that it was them but it's now a different company. The only difference is a slight name change it's exactly the same company. :eek:

Mine had a red light flashing for years and would not communicate with the energy supplier after I switched

When EDF magically upgraded the meter without visiting or informing me - must have been magic because before that it was apparently impossible - then the red lights turned green and it all worked again

Looks like it is a comms handshake and if the 'other end' is talking to it you get a green flashing light - if not it flashes red

As a retired IT geek I would like proper manual showing everything about it
but then again - I am probably the last type of person they want knowing about it!!:eek:

classic33

Leg End Member
Mine had a red light flashing for years and would not communicate with the energy supplier after I switched

When EDF magically upgraded the meter without visiting or informing me - must have been magic because before that it was apparently impossible - then the red lights turned green and it all worked again

Looks like it is a comms handshake and if the 'other end' is talking to it you get a green flashing light - if not it flashes red

As a retired IT geek I would like proper manual showing everything about it
but then again - I am probably the last type of person they want knowing about it!!:eek:
Non of these?
https://www.sseenergysolutions.co.uk/meter-manuals

Top Bottom