A question for those with modern smart meters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
Another thread full of reasons not to have a smart meter. I'd quite like access to a spreadsheet full of regular meter readings, but not at the expense of the sort of aggro I keep reading about. I never see anyone complaining about the old Bakelite electro-mechanical ones llike mine.

Sat reading this thread, and up pops an email notification: Shell Energy offering me a smart meter.

Another thread full of reasons not to have a smart meter. I'd quite like access to a spreadsheet full of regular meter readings, but not at the expense of the sort of aggro I keep reading about. I never see anyone complaining about the old Bakelite electro-mechanical ones llike mine.

Sat reading this thread, and up pops an email notification: Shell Energy offering me a smart meter.

I guess not many people are going to make a fuss about their meter working as it should. Mine is fine and it's great for going round tye house and working out what's using the electric.
I've rooted out a couple of old light bulbs that were costing a fortune.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me

had zero issues with my smart meters and can access a full spreadsheet of meter readings on import and export of electric and the import of gas......and i dont have to read a meter and make my own spreadsheet either

tom73

Guru
I will say before the current issue we've had them years with no issues. We've found them handy to have nothing like instant usage to see ££ flowing out. To change usage and hunt out stuff thats costing way too much to run.

Petrichorwheels

had zero issues with my smart meters and can access a full spreadsheet of meter readings on import and export of electric and the import of gas......and i dont have to read a meter and make my own spreadsheet either

am with octopus and gives me readily available historic consumption info on figures I have given them/been processed.

Petrichorwheels

same here, but i didnt need to give them anything....my smart meter did it for me

they keep nagging me to get one - let them pass - can see no great advantage.

Mike_P

Guru
Faults often are fixed remotely - mine refused to display the gas usage for ages and despite complaining seemed to be getting nowhere (Shell Energy) then one day realised it was working. Suspect they have a handful of people working on faults and the sheer quantum of them means a wait for a fix.

Last edited:
i have mine linked to the IHD here on my desk.....at the moment its telling my im exporting to the grid and how much too

WOW - not seen one that could do that before
I did ask EDF about it and they said it wasn;t possible.
Apparently (if you believe them :tongue:) the smart meter can;t send export data to somethingsomethingsomething
which is why they can receiev the current usage data but I still have to go outside 4 times a year to get the export readings- then send the readings to them but some as yet unknown method - which hopefully requires less waiting on hold than setting it all up!!!

do you have any more detail so I can challenge them about it
although it could be just the make and model of meter youhave

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
WOW - not seen one that could do that before
I did ask EDF about it and they said it wasn;t possible.
Apparently (if you believe them :tongue:) the smart meter can;t send export data to somethingsomethingsomething
which is why they can receiev the current usage data but I still have to go outside 4 times a year to get the export readings- then send the readings to them but some as yet unknown method - which hopefully requires less waiting on hold than setting it all up!!!

do you have any more detail so I can challenge them about it
although it could be just the make and model of meter youhave

All i know is its from octopus and when we export the IHD changes to a pylon and with how much we are exporting and an arrow pointing at the pylon………i like it a lot, my old one didnt do it tho.

also octopus get all my export data every half an hour and provide me with an export report the following day in half hour intervals.

All i know is its from octopus and when we export the IHD changes to a pylon and with how much we are exporting and an arrow pointing at the pylon………i like it a lot, my old one didnt do it tho.

also octopus get all my export data every half an hour and provide me with an export report the following day in half hour intervals.
Same here, also Octopus. Nice feeling when you see the pylon

Top Bottom