A question for those with modern smart meters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
We had an appointment to have smart meters fitted, guy came out and only changed the one for the electric.
He said the gas ones 'don't work' so a year on and numerous phone calls we are still waiting...

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
We had an appointment to have smart meters fitted, guy came out and only changed the one for the electric.
He said the gas ones 'don't work' so a year on and numerous phone calls we are still waiting...

Who are you with? my gas smart meter seems to work pretty well from octopus

potsy

Rambler
Who are you with? my gas smart meter seems to work pretty well from octopus

Scottish Power, switched the gas to them so we had the same supplier for both, both prepayment meters.
Idea was to get them to fit smart meters and be able to top up via the app rather than the old card system.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had mine fitted for health reasons.
The gas meter is in the side garden and close to the ground.
After Covid I gradually lost all strength from my legs so now I can't get down to read it (or can't get back up).

Fastpedaller

Out in rural Norfolk we are now on smartmeter #3 and that hasn't worked at all - not even on the day it was installed last November. I think someone in our road is on #5. They just can't seem to get them to work. We just give the energy co (EON) regular readings.

Alex321

Veteran
WOW - not seen one that could do that before
I did ask EDF about it and they said it wasn;t possible.
Apparently (if you believe them :tongue:) the smart meter can;t send export data to somethingsomethingsomething
which is why they can receiev the current usage data but I still have to go outside 4 times a year to get the export readings- then send the readings to them but some as yet unknown method - which hopefully requires less waiting on hold than setting it all up!!!

do you have any more detail so I can challenge them about it
although it could be just the make and model of meter youhave

Mine has shown that since we had the solar installed. It changes the icon shown on the screen to show power is outgoing rather than incoming.

Unfortunately, we are STILL not getting paid for it (though insignificant output at this time of year), currently waiting for a document from the DNO, which should have been provided back in February last year.

Alex321

Veteran

We have both gas and electric smart meters, and no problems with either of them to date - both were already installed before we bought the house.

Initially we were with British Gas, and they only seemed to be getting readings from one meter, but when we switched to Octopus, they are getting readings from both.

Mine has shown that since we had the solar installed. It changes the icon shown on the screen to show power is outgoing rather than incoming.

Unfortunately, we are STILL not getting paid for it (though insignificant output at this time of year), currently waiting for a document from the DNO, which should have been provided back in February last year.

I found I had to pester the energy company, the DNO and the installer for weeks before all the documentation was sorted out
The installer was great and helped but couldn't force anyone to do anything
The DNO seemed to do everything it was supposed to but the energy company claimed they didn;t have the right documents
but the DNO said they had done everything

back and forth for several week - same story every time

eventually someone got fed up and found the right piece of paper (or email or something)
I suspect the energy company was not very well set up and their procedures were based on good luck and a following wind rather than strict logic!

Important thing was that the energy company worked from the initial export meter reading from when I first contacted them - not the reading when it was all sorted out
so I didn't loose out from export payments from all the phone calls

worth making sure yours are doing the same if you can - if EDF will do it then anyone will!!!

Alex321

Veteran
I found I had to pester the energy company, the DNO and the installer for weeks before all the documentation was sorted out
The installer was great and helped but couldn't force anyone to do anything
The DNO seemed to do everything it was supposed to but the energy company claimed they didn;t have the right documents
but the DNO said they had done everything

back and forth for several week - same story every time

eventually someone got fed up and found the right piece of paper (or email or something)
I suspect the energy company was not very well set up and their procedures were based on good luck and a following wind rather than strict logic!

Important thing was that the energy company worked from the initial export meter reading from when I first contacted them - not the reading when it was all sorted out
so I didn't loose out from export payments from all the phone calls

worth making sure yours are doing the same if you can - if EDF will do it then anyone will!!!

Mine are Octopus. But since we switched, there has been hardly any export (with a 16kWh battery we need more than winter sunshine to fill it and have surplus), so I'm not that bothered, so long as it is set up right before we do get to that point again.

Top Bottom