a question of performance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

ASC1951 said:
Does that meet his "arriving semi-presentable" requirement, Ben?

There would be a bit of a stir if JonnyH screeched up at my office, said he'd come to sort out our wiring/plumbing/life support systems/entire database and then dropped his kecks and started going over the crevices with a handful of babywipes. It would be hours before the girls would settle again.

this "cycling in such a weigh as to not get sweaty" thing is just pure folly. forget it. cycle for the enjoyment of cycling. if you don't enjoy cycling, drive.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
true enough Ben3, but as a choice of wanting to use a cycle rather than drive everywhere, (though I get 40p per mile in the car so it isnt a financial question, more an environmental one), still has to be sensibly balanced with being fit for purpose at the destination.

So it isnt a question of "if you dont enjoy cycling" at all.

peanut

I'm intrigued Johhny . Do you work for yourself ? or through an IT company? I've been considering going into to this line of work for a while now. What does most of your work consist of ?

bonj2

johnnyh said:
true enough Ben3, but as a choice of wanting to use a cycle rather than drive everywhere, (though I get 40p per mile in the car so it isnt a financial question, more an environmental one), still has to be sensibly balanced with being fit for purpose at the destination.

So it isnt a question of "if you dont enjoy cycling" at all.

what and you dont' get 40p per mile on the bike?
if not then you're effectively chucking money down the drain by cycling.
money you could be spending on your bike.
you should drive and spend the profits on shiny new bike bits!

while it's very gallant of you to think of the 'environment'*, you've got to put yourself first. the credit crunch is more of an issue nowadays than the 'environment'*.

why not drive to work and cycle at the weekends when you can choose exactly where you go, pick the most enjoyable roads to cycle on, stop at a cafe and not be in a rush, get as sweaty as you like, and not have to be constantly thinking about having to get somewhere by a certain time.

*although, point of order, it's actually not the 'environment' you're protecting, but the atmosphere. People say they're trying to 'protect the environment', when what they're actually doing is protecting the atmosphere. The environment comprises of many other things besides the atmosphere that aren't affected by fumes and CO2 emmissions.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
I can claim 20p per mile tax free when using the bike, and given a bike is a darn site less to run than a 3ltr V6 car, I am actually better off on the bike if we are talking profit per mile.

I also charge my hourly rate for travelling time, but I tend to divide this by two when I cycle since it would be unfair on the client to take twice as long to get there and charge them for the privilege.

I accept the atmosphere suffers directly as a result of car emissions, but we live and breath our atmosphere and every little helps :biggrin:

I am quite able to do 16 miles and be ready to work, my questioning related to bike type giving same distance for less effort, or same distance but faster for the same effort, or increased range with the same effort.

bonj2

you shouldn't divide it by two, you should simply charge an agreed rate based on the minimum time it 'should' take to get there.`

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
hehehe if I am gonna drive a car it might as well have a proper engine. :biggrin:

(oh and the average ride time for the trips I do is around the hour mark, where as in a car it is 30 mins, hence the divide by two :wacko:)

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
it is worth adding that the client wins when I cycle cause I dont get stuck in traffic so it is always the same journey time. In the car, time of day dependant it can run to 45 mins!

Top Bottom