A question of work ethics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cerdic

Anyone remember Reggie Perrin? Bolivian unicyclist’s jockstrap…

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
What kind of feedback survey is based on having to fill in something and email it back? Should be cloud based with the 'record submitters username or identifying info' feature disabled. This is pretty common practice - this HR firm sound like cowboys.

Anyway - if you do fill it in, just be honest... what's the worst that could happen?

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I decided I was over-thinking it and filled them in this morning. I was honest, if diplomatic. Gave praise, emphasised good points but, using the adage "If you've nothing good to say, say nothing" I left some questions blank and boxes un-ticked.

Big John

Guru
I worked for a German company for 35 years and retired a couple of years ago. We had questionnaires coming out of our ears and as we all worked in an open plan office we had a proper giggle when completing them. We had to sit through hours and hours of meetings to discuss the outcome of the questionnaires and how the world was going to change as a result. The reality was that nothing changed nor did we want it to. I can honestly say it wasn't a bad firm to work for, except for all the bloody questionnairs. I remember one I filled in that was all about my boss and what we thought about his management style. My boss couldn't get in on time EVER and he never explained why. However we, the plebs, were always on time and found it laughable that the boss wasn't. He wasn't just late he was 'proper' late, sometimes by as much as an hour. In the questionnaire we were asked what we'd like to see our boss do that he doesn't do at the moment so I put 'Turn up to work on time'. Another question asked what he did now that we didn't like so I put 'Turns up late to work every day'. I'd got nothing to lose by saying this because I'd been there that long it would have cost them a fortune to make me redundant. Following the questionnaire off he trotted to Germany for a week's intensive management training course. We looked forward to his return (I'm joking here of course) to see if anything had changed following his very expensive course. Monday morning arrived and as you can guess he was as late as he ever was. No explanation, nothing. Money well spent 👍

What kind of feedback survey is based on having to fill in something and email it back? Should be cloud based with the 'record submitters username or identifying info' feature disabled. This is pretty common practice - this HR firm sound like cowboys.

Anyway - if you do fill it in, just be honest... what's the worst that could happen?

They've been around a long time and managed OK before emails or clouds.

The analysis and application by the managers of the scheme is more important than the technology.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I agree people will be put off but if one of the concerns could be easily mitigated (at least in theory) that can only be a good thing, I don't really see your point, tbh.

The only point was in saying that the technology of delivery is not unimportant, but less important than the application and analysis, plus the state of employee relations and communication with participants. Without knowing about all aspects of the review process, and the companies involved, your description of the HR firm as cowboys was unfair.

Last edited:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sorry but I disagree, one of their objectives is to gather a wide a set of data as possible while complying with GDPR regulations etc. and if they are not leveraging modern technology to achieve this, then they are not performing very well, imho. Obviously analysis of the data and turning it into useful insight for their client company is critical but it sounds like they are missing a trick. In the modern world to keep up you need a modern solution and nothing wrong with that. The it was good enough in the Seventies before email and new fangled this and that is (again just IMO) a big part of the problem. Anyway enough of this, I'm leaving it there.

Top Bottom