A question of work ethics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Some of my colleagues and I today received an email from an HR company our company has used in the past asking us to complete a feedback questionnaire on senior management. I've been asked to assess my MD, FD and sales director. They emphasise that the forms are anonymised and the recipient will not know who commented.

I'm uncomfortable with this.

Firstly, by asking me to email the forms back, there's a chance they won't be anonymous after all. A critical comment could be taken the wrong way and lead to problems down the line.
I thought about not filling the forms in but that in itself is a negative comment.
I started to just give the highest scores in the tick boxes because I don't really care and don't actually believe it will make any difference but there's quite a few points where I'm asked to give actual examples of behaviour/actions/resolutions.

Because IMO their system is flawed and puts undue pressure on employees, I'm tempted to reply pointing this out - but this might be construed as being awkward.

If I'm truly honest, one of the three I barely know as she's only been here a month and we've had very little interaction. One of the others is frankly incompetent and if I were to be honest he would likely be in bother.

Or am I over-thinking this? Should I just be bland and tick the middle boxes and make blah blah statements?

Some of my colleagues and I today received an email from an HR company our company has used in the past asking us to complete a feedback questionnaire on senior management. I've been asked to assess my MD, FD and sales director. They emphasise that the forms are anonymised and the recipient will not know who commented.

I'm uncomfortable with this.

Firstly, by asking me to email the forms back, there's a chance they won't be anonymous after all. A critical comment could be taken the wrong way and lead to problems down the line.
I thought about not filling the forms in but that in itself is a negative comment.
I started to just give the highest scores in the tick boxes because I don't really care and don't actually believe it will make any difference but there's quite a few points where I'm asked to give actual examples of behaviour/actions/resolutions.

Because IMO their system is flawed and puts undue pressure on employees, I'm tempted to reply pointing this out - but this might be construed as being awkward.

If I'm truly honest, one of the three I barely know as she's only been here a month and we've had very little interaction. One of the others is frankly incompetent and if I were to be honest he would likely be in bother.

Or am I over-thinking this? Should I just be bland and tick the middle boxes and make blah blah statements?

How concerned do you think they'd be if they were asked to an appraisal of you?

I always fill them honestly, warts and all. If they don't want to know, they shouldn't ask the question. If you lie, you've no recourse in the future.

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
How concerned do you think they'd be if they were asked to an appraisal of you?

I always fill them honestly, warts and all. If they don't want to know, they shouldn't ask the question. If you lie, you've no recourse in the future.

I think it's fair enough for management to do appraisals of their juniors, that's pretty much a core part of the job. In this case, the power dynamic is all wrong though.

I think it's fair enough for management to do appraisals of their juniors, that's pretty much a core part of the job. In this case, the power dynamic is all wrong though.

I've never seen any role as 'power' and would be very suspicious of anyone that saw roles in that way.

midlife

Guru
Gave up filling in our work surveys years ago, every year they came out less than complimentary.... So they decide to hold another survey!

Cerdic

I've never seen any role as 'power' and would be very suspicious of anyone that saw roles in that way.

Well, if you are employed there will always be someone with the ‘power’ to sack you. It’s a fact of life, not an opinion on how a ‘role’ is perceived!

As regards the survey thing, I’d ignore it. But I was never a corporate kind of person…

Well, if you are employed there will always be someone with the ‘power’ to sack you. It’s a fact of life, not an opinion on how a ‘role’ is perceived!

As regards the survey thing, I’d ignore it. But I was never a corporate kind of person…

And if they try to abuse their perceived power, they may just find that there are measures that transcend that perception.

I used to manage this type of review back in the 1980s when they were still quite new. If it is run by a reputable organisation the people being reviewed will receive anonymised, summarised feedback. There is nothing to be gained by the HR company or the employer in breaking this anonymity of responses.

Just be honest and respond in a way that you would be confident of justifying if questioned about it. (not that you will be)

Top Bottom