Copyright Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I purchased an old map, late 1400's hand drawn. Not an OS map.
The person who drew it can be clearly said to be dead by now. As can who they drew it for. Ruling out some time limits.

When I bought the map, was the copyright ownership included? I've no intention of making any part of it public at this time, mainly due to a claim made by someone that there is no copyright on anything on the internet.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The person who drew it can be clearly said to be dead by now. As can who they drew it for. Ruling out some time limits.

When I bought the map, was the copyright ownership included? I've no intention of making any part of it public at this time, mainly due to a claim made by someone that there is no copyright on anything on the internet.

Here's my take on it

The original copyright has clearly long since expired

There may (or may not) be a new copyright derived from a later modern edition of the older map. By way of explanation I think a poetry anthology of out of copyright old poems
was held to be copyrightable due to assembling the old poem, providing an index and notes. An old map with modern annotations or notes could merit such a claim

Anything published or republished on the internet is subject to the same law as anything else even if it's hard to enforce in practice. Copying a photo, meme, or cartoon and reposting is likely. breach of copyright

Alex321

Veteran

Copyright is never included with a purchase, unless it as something created to your order and the contract specified you would own the copyright.

Once copyright has expired on any item, anybody can copy it at will.

If you modify it (e.g. As suggested by @Profpointy annotating it) then you would have copyright in the derived work.

And the person who made the claim that there is no copyright on the internet knows nothing about copyright, unless they just meant that is difficult to enforce it.

As far as I know any change sthat you make only result in you having a new copyright - if the changes are deemed to be significant

so if you put one comment on it then this is not enough
if you totally change the colours use and add emphasis to the main routes - then this maybe enough

Of course - if you take a photograph of the item and then publish that - then you have copyright on the photo itself

so there is that - how you enforce it is a totally different matter!

Thanks for the reminder @classic33 I really need to get a more up to date map, its a nightmare trying to get from Chester to Liverpool and Manchester. I don't know how the cartographer's keep up with all these new places suddenly appearing?
Screenshot_20240215_144138_Samsung Internet.jpg

Alex321

Veteran
Thanks for the reminder @classic33 I really need to get a more up to date map, its a nightmare trying to get from Chester to Liverpool and Manchester. I don't know how the cartographer's keep up with all these new places suddenly appearing?
View attachment 721778

Are the place names on that map all abbeys?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
And the person who made the claim that there is no copyright on the internet knows nothing about copyright, unless they just meant that is difficult to enforce it.

I had a couple of issues regarding a photograph of Hornby Castle I'd taken and posted online, then found it posted on other websites, one of which was the Council's city, coast and countryside website, the other a crap historian's blog. All i wanted was a link back to the website they'd taken the image from, but both flat refused to give me a link, a credit or even to remove the image. The crap historian claimed that anything posted online is freely available to anyone else, which is utter nonsense... but lots of people seem to believe that the internet = public domain.

I did eventually get the crap historian to remove the image after pointing out that the castle is in fact in Hornby, Lancashire and not the Hornby in Yorkshire of which he was apparently a historical expert on.

The local council did bugger all apart form blame their developers. :sad:

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I had a couple of issues regarding a photograph of Hornby Castle I'd taken and posted online, then found it posted on other websites, one of which was the Council's city, coast and countryside website, the other a crap historian's blog. All i wanted was a link back to the website they'd taken the image from, but both flat refused to give me a link, a credit or even to remove the image. The crap historian claimed that anything posted online is freely available to anyone else, which is utter nonsense... but lots of people seem to believe that the internet = public domain.

I did eventually get the crap historian to remove the image after pointing out that the castle is in fact in Hornby, Lancashire and not the Hornby in Yorkshire of which he was apparently a historical expert on.

The local council did bugger all apart form blame their developers. :sad:
Wonder if it's the same "historian".

Top Bottom