Bingo question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are there any bingo devotees in the room?
I have a specific question about bingo, and do NOT seek to start a general discussion.
A few years ago, Mrs Salad and I visited a hotel in Devon where they had bingo as an evening entertainment. When a number ending in zero was called, the group at another table would all call out in chorus "oh no, not six oh" or whatever the appropriate number would be.

Four years or so on, my daughter and her partner are at the same hotel for the weekend. There is bingo for the evening. And a group at another table are all doing the "oh no, not five oh" thing.

Is this a Devonian custom, or a more general west country one? None of my friends or family (we are all from Kent) have ever encountered this way of responding to a bingo number!

stephec

Legendary Member
Round our way, when it's played in the working men's clubs, it's always announced by the caller as blind, as in, 'four oh, blind 40.'

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Isn't the OP on about the players reaction to the call, not what the caller calls?

Anyway I can't help as I don't do bingo, my nan did but she died years ago.

D

Deleted member 1258

Round our way, when it's played in the working men's clubs, it's always announced by the caller as blind, as in, 'four oh, blind 40.'

Thats how its done round here, whether the players interact with the caller or not depends on how serious people are taking it and how fast the caller is, it sounds like what the op describes is a local custom. We'll be down the club tonight trying to win a house or to, with very little interaction with the caller.

stephec

Legendary Member
Thats how its done round here, whether the players interact with the caller or not depends on how serious people are taking it and how fast the caller is, it sounds like what the op describes is a local custom. We'll be down the club tonight trying to win a house or to, with very little interaction with the caller.

Surely you must at least whistle for legs eleven, and quack for two little ducks? 😂

D

Deleted member 1258

Surely you must at least whistle for legs eleven, and quack for two little ducks

My Brother In Law will whistle for legs 11 on Monday night, on our once a fortnight Thursday afternoon bingo he's the caller, theres plenty of back chat then, the Thursday session is a lot smaller and more relaxed than the larger Monday session.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Surely you must at least whistle for legs eleven, and quack for two little ducks? 😂

Not to mention " Dirty Gerty number thirty " " Half a Crown two and six " " Five and Nine, the Brighton Line " etc ( I had a casual job as a waiter in a working men's club in the '60's, "Bingo Night " was a nightmare, I'd stand by the bar waiting for someone to raise their hand, nothing, then when " House " was called every buggers hand shot up wanting a drink before the next card started )

stephec

Legendary Member
Not to mention " Dirty Gerty number thirty " " Half a Crown two and six " " Five and Nine, the Brighton Line " etc ( I had a casual job as a waiter in a working men's club in the '60's, "Bingo Night " was a nightmare, I'd stand by the bar waiting for someone to raise their hand, nothing, then when " House " was called every buggers hand shot up wanting a drink before the next card started )

Any way up soixante-neuf, almost there 8 and 9, and it's bugging me now what number, 'was she worth it?' is.

Top Bottom