A question on gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Can anyone explain in very simple terms, how Sturmey Archer gears are used. I have an old bike in the garage, which is a Coventry Eagle, but I think the frame is too big for me.

I have forgotten how to use the gears on that bike. I also have a Polish folder (built like a proverbial tank) with "easier" gears. I hesitate to ask at the lbs. They seem to concentrate on very expensive very very fast bikes. I would like to master the gears again, and be sure that it is too big before I find a good home for it. I do not want to get rid of it, and then find it was the right size.

You may hold Admin partially reponsible for this post. He said today is "dare to be different" day, so I am daring to ask a question that I should really know the answer to. The person who sold me the bike, was in fact shorter than me in height, so I assumed it would not be too big, it just looks and feels that way.

:ohmy: When you measure wheels on a bicycle do you measure from the outside of the rim or the outside of the rim?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
From what I remember of SA 3 speed hubs, you had to pedal backwards as you moved the gear lever to make the shift.

Wheels are measured to the outside of the rim.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
It does not take much to get me confuzzled. I thought this bike had ten gears, is that different to three speed (hubs) ?

There are five gears on the "main" bit that you move the lever on, and then another five by moving another lever. Does the second five come (ratio) between the first five?

Willow

Gosh I'd forgotten the 3 gear sturmey archer, I had a great bike with those guess I was about 10 when I first had it, cycled for miles everyweek to this and that and made all the local hills without getting off - bet I couldn't now, ie 30+ years later.

shimano

my dad's Ridgeback folder which is two or three years old at the most has a 3 speed SA with a twist grip shifter so they're still out there. As for frame sizes the general rule of thumb is, if you can stand flat footed astride the frame without damaging the family jewels it's ok.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
but I might have that wrong...
You haven't.

Graham O

I had a 3 speed SA hub on my bike for cycling to school. However after years of abuse, it became an automatic hub. Hit a hill and it would change down as more pressure was put on the pedals. But it was a bit embarrassing trying to accelerate away from the lights. My little legs would spin like mad and I'd get overtaken by everyone else :biggrin:

LondonCommuter

Do you have a digital camera/ any chance of a photo? I had a coventry eagle which I bought from my own hard-earned money at the age of 18. It was nicked when I was a student and (20 years later) I've just got into cycling again. Would love to see a photo for old times sake.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ohh..brings back floods of memory's as a kid..

Had a Chopper - 3 speed - great sturmey archer and it just changed gear..that's it..oh getting a racer.."what you have to pedal to change....? "

Note...I say racer - that was what it was..not a road bike... !

Top Bottom