A quick meatball sauce question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
A teaspoon of sugar takes away the bitterness in the tomatoes. I never use water.

MikeG

Guru
A teaspoon of sugar takes away the bitterness in the tomatoes. I never use water.

.....then add a teaspoon of Marmite to take away the sweetness. Whack in some soy sauce, for a more rounded flavour and a bit of saltiness, and simmer until it is the thickness you desire.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks.....but I only have one hour till lift off.
Too late then, but for future reference, this is pretty much your definitive meatball sauce. I wouldn't worry too much about the fresh herbs if you don't have any - just chuck in a handful each of dried basil & parsley.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If its going to be an Italian night add something like this, or a dried variety:

3url.jpeg

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Fnaar's special:
Roast a large handful of cherry tomatoes and lots of garlic cloves for about 20-30 mins.

Meanwhile, in saucepan, fry chopped onion, chopped celery, chopped chilli. Add tinned toms, some passata and a squeeze of ketchup, and a splash of Worcester sauce, and a spoonful of marmite. Take the cherry toms and garlic out of oven, and mash them. Add them to the sauce and stir in :okay:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I always pour a glass of wine into Tomato based sauces. (did I mention my 'cookery guru' is Keith Floyd) :hugs:

Top Bottom