A quick question, why....?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ruffers

Veteran
Off out on the bike soon and its a little frozen near me to say the least. The better half in her pearls of wisdom,
"Your going out in this? You must be barmy!"
I then thought to myself yes for once she maybe right for once but im still off out.
But my question to you all is why do you all cycle or start cycling as a hobby or passion.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not really sure I can rationalise it. Sure it saves on fuel, makes parking easy, keeps me fit, but the bottom line is that I just dig it.

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
It keeps me fit and I can't go running any more due to an old injury. Cycling seemed to be the next best thing. Then I discovered that cycling was much better than running as I can go further, see more and also it's just more practical. Cycling is fun, it's transport, its health giving and it really annoys my in-laws. Result

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have lots of reasons. It does save me money but that is not a consideration for me. I like to ride different types of bikes, they interest me. I think the top of my list is that I live in a wonderful area for cycling or walking. I have quiet roads, forest tracks, paths along beaches, considerate drivers. It allows me to easily explore places that I cannot get to in a car or motorbike.

The area I live in over here in Denmark is something that would be akin to countryside England in the early 50s. I have a 12 mile ride home from work through small roads and country tracks. If I see 6 cars, its a gridlock.

Venod

Eh up
Been cycling since i was 12 now 64 still no idea why

Same here but I'm a mere youngster at 62

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Never cycled to save money or the world.

For me, it was a way to fit exercise into my day without taking any more time from it. I also struggled to find motivation to get home and then go out to the gym. So commuting fitted the bill

My cycling increased from commuting to leisure when I eventually bought a road bike and started heading out at weekends

I find cycling with friends (especially on a weekend or three day getaway) to be both hugely enjoyable and rewarding.

I love looking at a map and saying to myself "I rode that".

J

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I have lots of reasons. It does save me money but that is not a consideration for me. I like to ride different types of bikes, they interest me. I think the top of my list is that I live in a wonderful area for cycling or walking. I have quiet roads, forest tracks, paths along beaches, considerate drivers. It allows me to easily explore places that I cannot get to in a car or motorbike.

The area I live in over here in Denmark is something that would be akin to countryside England in the early 50s. I have a 12 mile ride home from work through small roads and country tracks. If I see 6 cars, its a gridlock.
I could go off you.

young Ed

Veteran
never thought of that TBH! i'm now 16 and have been cycling since i could walk (probably before then) so for me it's just a way of life and is just what i do :smile:
say i started cycling at 5 (to pick a nice round number) that's 11 years i've been riding and i'm not even an adult yet :smile: be 13 by the time i am classed as an adult
Cheers Ed

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Started cycling in my mid-forties, to loose weight and gain fitness. A dozen or so years later, I do it because I enjoy it. Never a shortage of challenges. A friend of mine, a funeral director, says I look good. Better words than any of those from a physician. (Who also approves, BTW) Good, low impact exercise. Much better than distance running, my previous exercise. I had previously cycled as a youth.

Top Bottom