A rant about MK cyclists (and peds, for that matter)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
@CharlieB

as for people not being able to ride on the right side, give me a break, you don't own them, use your bell or say hello instead of criticizing them.

Err..... On most cycle tracks I have been on, there is an unspoken rule that you cycle on the left, i.e. like you are on a road.

If I see someone coming towards me, I'd be surprised and if it happened a lot I would start to get a bit irked.
Do I think I own the path? No, but I would like to think that others using the path would do the same, I mean give me a break, it isn't exactly rocket science, is it? Do these people actually WANT to collide with someone?

Last edited:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
MK currently has an about-average amount of walking and an above-average amount of cycling, according to official statistics.
spread over a vast network. It is still perfectly possible to cycle on a redway for five minutes and not see a living soul. (Although, to be fair, it is also possible to cycle on the LCC's Wandle Way all day and not see a living soul)

The problem with Milton Keynes is this - it's a vast suburb with a relatively small population. Derek Walker planned it when the car was the future and it was universally thought that people needed to be as far away from their neighbours as possible. He took the Llewellyn-Davies, Weeks, Fforestier-Walker and Bor plan, stripped out the local centres, got rid of the 30mph limit on the grid, and substituted roundabouts and slip roads for crossroads and t-junctions. In other words, just about everything that could have gone wrong went wrong. Back when I was living in Buckinghamshire the Corporation was selling self-build plots at ten to the acre - a density that, if repeated across the country would mean London stretching beyond Carlisle. The expansion at Brooklands is going to be a little more dense than the present MK, but nothing like the kind of density that one would take for granted in (say) Ealing.

I spoke to one of the original designers when I prepared the D+A statement for the hotel. He reckoned that if you reverted to crossroads, built on the green space next to the grid and went back to the original 30mph idea it would be an improvement, but, essentially, the place was unrecoverable. My obvious move, if I were king for a day would be to build on the 20,000 car spaces in CMK - that's right, 20,000 car spaces which probably exceeds the entire car space provision in Westminster, the City, and the five innermost London boroughs!

So - low density plus road network plus westward expansion means ever greater car use. It's not just that there is vast car use within the so-called city - the countryside for twenty miles around, and up as far as Hinckley to northwest is riddled with MK commuters, for whom the usual rush hour slog has been turned in to a magic tarmac ride.

Essentially the place is a dead loss, and should be demolished piece by piece, remitting the entire population to some of the under-used parts of northeastern towns. That's not going to happen - in fact Prescott accepted that the city would double in size. The DfT has put away predictions of 'peak car' and now assumes that car usage will grow by 40% up to 2040. If they, the supposed guardians of our sustainable transport plans, are content with that, then the suburban tumour that is MK will spread up through Northamptonshire, across Buckinghamshire and, who knows, knock, one day, on the door of Bedford, swallowing ever more agricultural land, ever more byways and ever more villages.

And I loathe the football team.

And my eldest daughter and my grandson was subjected to racist abuse in Stoney Stratford High Street. Twice.

Last edited:
@CharlieB

Err..... On most cycle tracks I have been on, there is an unspoken rule that you cycle on the left, i.e. like you are on a road.

If I see someone coming towards me, I'd be surprised and if it happened a lot I would start to get a bit irked.
Do I think I own the path? No, but I would like to think that others using the path would do the same, I mean give me a break, it isn't exactly rocket science, is it? Do these people actually WANT to collide with someone?

Morning.

I agree about the driving on the left sentiment but I can't recall a red way (as they were called when I were a lad) from cmk train station through CMK.

This may be the problem, the route Charlie is taking goes through blocks and blocks of offices full of car drivers late for work and shoppers, more likely pinned to their smart phones instead of paying attention.

And others have said, it's worth getting a red way map, it may help a little. A minor detour doesn't take long And may show anothers side to mk.

Best of luck @CharlieB

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there's a cycle path on the south bank of the Thames from Putney through (eventually) Richmond. The unwritten convention there is to ride on the right. Everybody does it. Is there some natural tendency in humans to do this?

This piece, entitled 'Anarchy in Milton Keynes' neatly joins MK. Prince Kropotkin and the Original Union Syncopaters. I suppose any city that can inspire this kind of random ramblings can't be all bad.
https://libcom.org/library/anarchy-milton-keynes-music-colin-ward

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Except it isn't a city, despite the locals invariably referring to it as such. Depending on whether one counts the entire borough or just the town itself, it's the third largest town in the UK that isn't a city (in population terms) behind Dudley and Northampton.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Except it isn't a city, despite the locals invariably referring to it as such. Depending on whether one counts the entire borough or just the town itself, it's the third largest town in the UK that isn't a city (in population terms) behind Dudley and Northampton.
I missed out the quotation marks.............sorry

That ain't going to help the 5 mile tail backs of cars trying to get into MK I go past on the way to work on a morning.

Derek

There will be be different, far more frequent trains!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I agree about the driving on the left sentiment but I can't recall a red way (as they were called when I were a lad) from cmk train station through CMK.
Bizarrely, most of the redways in CMK have always been grey paving and their distinctive yellow bollards have slowly been replaced with black ones, further confusing matters. They used to have a deeper red where they cross the car park access roads, but even that's not at all crossings any more.

Then, there are a couple of redways resurfaced recently (well, maybe in the last 15 years :laugh:) with actual red tarmac, parallel with the V roads - one on the station side of Grafton Gate and one on the main shops side of Saxon Gate... and Street View shows one in red block paving on the shops side of Marlborough Gate, too.

Taking 2015's estimates for either borough or settlement, MK has overtaken Northampton (borough 262,000 v 219,000; settlement 227,000 v 222,000).

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
One big problem for MK is that it's falling apart. A lot of public buildings and roads were built at the same time and they are now in need of serious money. The Theatre District is knackered - Wetherspoons, which used to fuel my day with their extraordinary breakfasts has just closed down - now how bad do things have to be before Tim Martin pulls the plug? So.....who is going to throw lots of dosh in to regeneration when they can just go on and on building low-rise housing over countryside? No private sector money, no S.106 money, and not likely to be until the Council ups the density and fills the gaps - which they will not do.

Derek Walker bought in to the American Dream with other people's money - if he were still around today he'd see that there's a thousand midwestern towns telling the story of low downtown land values are a disaster in the making. Give it ten years and that axis from the station to Campbell Park is going to have tumbleweed.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Taking 2015's estimates for either borough or settlement, MK has overtaken Northampton (borough 262,000 v 219,000; settlement 227,000 v 222,000).
That's slightly misleading as recent expansion of Northampton has overspilled the local authority boundaries into Daventry's and South Northants boroughs with the likes of Grange Park, parts of the new Wooton development etc. Therefore the official figures for the town of Northwankton are somewhat lower than the figures for the actual physical settlement.

They're both sheetholes, whichever way you look at it.

They closed one Wetherspoon, as it was less than a mile from another. And to be honest, it was a bit down market compared to some of the places around the Theatre District.

I like MK - it's definitely growing. Despite the tribulations of MK Dons, that whole area around the football ground is very busy with all the shops & restaurants.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
My second daughter lives in Bletchley and I often stop at the Dons McDonald's for a relaxing coffee.
Life-of-Brian-Monty-Python.jpg

This is a crime far greater than any other! Stone him!

They closed one Wetherspoon, as it was less than a mile from another. And to be honest, it was a bit down market compared to some of the places around the Theatre District.

I like MK - it's definitely growing. Despite the tribulations of MK Dons, that whole area around the football ground is very busy with all the shops & restaurants.
Frankie and Bennies?

It's definitely growing. Oh, yes. Think Petri Dish. But my prediction about the centre holds good. Not even the rustiest Premier Inn this side of the Pecos can save it.

Top Bottom