A RANT!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weely

Why is it that dog walkers think they have priority on a cycle bridal path??

The amount of dogshit i have to avoid and the looks of disgust on the dog owners face when they have to call their dog over whilst I pass!!
KEEP YOUR DOGS ON A LEAD

IM HUMAN - THERE JUST DOGS

On my daily commute The smell of dog piss fills my lungs with vigor

Oh and one more thing :

All dog owners who do pick up and bag the shoot.... DO NOT THEN FLING IT IN A BUSH!!!!! so it stays there for 30 years.

Well priority, I'm not sure about but dog walkers have a perfect right to be on a bridleway and the law states that they have to have their dog under control, that's all, not on a lead. So not a lot of sympathy for you having to wait I'm afraid, just the same as I don't have a lot of sympathy for drivers on the road having to wait for me because I have a right to be there. I'm afraid I'm just as pissed off with un-eduated cyclists as I am with un-educated motorists.

I'm with you on the dog poo though. Just one thing. Are all those plastic bags still there when you go past next time. I wager some have gone. Fairly common for people to hang 'em up and collect 'em on the way back.

Femto

agree.gif

There were nearly a couple of floorcloths with my tyre print across their backs today. One got a toot of airzound as this particular dog looked like it was staying back and then took a dive and I didn't want to hurt the poor animal. Having said that, the vast majority of dog owners kept their pets in check. I never go speeding close past people or their dogs because - especially with dogs, they can try and chase you and the last thing you need is an injured dog to deal with.

As for the bag it then lob it in the hedge types - that's the worst kind of littering, not that any littering is okay but...just urrrgh! I suppose if they collect them on the way back and dispose of them, that's okay but how do we know they're going to? Let's just hope they do. :tongue:

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I regularly encounter a group of women talking in a group, taking up the entire width of the cycle path whilst their pooches roam free in adjacent fields. They see me approach with a quick look towards me, then they carry on talking, making no attempt to give me a bit of room to get by. Then one of their dogs comes back from chasing rabbits and runs across my path which they don't notice. Almost every time I have to shout an 'excuse me' to which they always respond politely and smile which is nice but it'd be better if they took some notice in the first place.

Bman

Guru
I hate that too. Some people have no consideration.

I had a refreshing change this morning on my way home from my night shift though. I’m trying to build up a bit of speed going downhill into a valley to make the uphill stretch a bit easier. Up ahead, I glimpse two schoolboys walking towards me, half way up the hill side by side walking towards me, with all the rest of the commuters flying past on their left. I thought I would have to slow down and lose my momentum, but they see me and immediately walk off the cycle track to join the other peds on the pavement! :laugh:

This put me in a good mood! I was even tempted to thank them as I passed. Too busy with the climb at that point though. :rolleyes:

just jim

Crackle said:
I'm with you on the dog poo though. Just one thing. Are all those plastic bags still there when you go past next time. I wager some have gone. Fairly common for people to hang 'em up and collect 'em on the way back.

That's big of them!

I've seen these bags hanging like a crop of sh*t waiting for autumn.

+1 OK maybe the dog doesn't by law have to be on a lead, but if you are on a path with other people, small children playing as well as cyclists, and you cvan't/won't control your dog that's running around, going bonkers back and forth across the path, barking, chasing little kids on their bikes - maybe the law should be changed?? The common sense approach obviously doesn't work. IMO if the path is paved, the dog should be leashed.

When I was a little kid, my father was bitten on the upper arm by a huge wolf-like creature on a public beach. If it had gone for a child at the same height it would have savaged the kid's face. One rabies injection and a large bandage later there is still a scar. I don't understand why people want to live with an animal like that! (you may guess that I am not a 'dog person'!!)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I loved it when i was in Holland. I could be going down a bike path, and the dogwalkers would either move over the path or get off it for me, and give me a smile and a hello(but in Dutch, i cant spell it so wont write it) as i went past:thumbsup:

Why cant it be like that over here. I dont use cycle paths, but cycling would be much better if we had that attitude to cyclists.
Cycling over there is good until you come off the cycle path and onto the road when there is a cycle path. They seem to get abit touchy:laugh:

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Dog sh1t is the least of my problems on a bridal path I sometimes take. It runs past a stables so horse sh1t takes up most of the path in places.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
mr_cellophane said:
Dog sh1t is the least of my problems on a bridal path I sometimes take. It runs past a stables so horse sh1t takes up most of the path in places.

You should try the lanes over my way - especially just after milking time...

BTW, I think it's "bridle" path, a bridal path would be something quite different...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I have never once seen someone bag shoot then chuck it in the bushes. If you were that anti-social, would you make the effort to bag it in the first place? If you say it happens, then I'll take your word for it, but I've certainly never seen it. Not once.

As for KEEPING YOUR DOGS ON A LEAD, dogs don't like being on leads anymore than you would. Can't you let them have a good time in the great outdoors too? Just slow down a bit and make allowances, as you would for, say, kids (should they be on leads?)

Live and let live mate. Chill. Woof woof.

(I am not, by the way, in any way excusing people who allow 'bad behaviour' - particularly potentially dangerous behaviour - from their dogs. Such dogs should be on leads. And their owners should be thrashed until they whimper.)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
[quote name='swee'pea99']I have never once seen someone bag shoot then chuck it in the bushes. If you were that anti-social, would you make the effort to bag it in the first place? If you say it happens, then I'll take your word for it, but I've certainly never seen it. Not once.

As for KEEPING YOUR DOGS ON A LEAD, dogs don't like being on leads anymore than you would. Can't you let them have a good time in the great outdoors too? Just slow down a bit and make allowances, as you would for, say, kids (should they be on leads?)

Live and let live mate. Chill. Woof woof.

(I am not, by the way, in any way excusing people who allow 'bad behaviour' - particularly potentially dangerous behaviour - from their dogs. Such dogs should be on leads. And their owners should be thrashed until they whimper.)[/QUOTE]

I hadnt, until me and my mum went for a walk down by the river. Theres a single track road that you cant drive down because they closed it off, and theres lots of dog walkers that use it. Theres a hedge on one side, and as you walk down theres lots of bags with dog shoot in hanging in the hedge and around the hedge.
My Aunt lives out in the country side in the middle of a little village. She walks her dog and when she cleans up the dog crap, she puts it in a bag and leaves it by the side of the road. She will either pick it up on the way back, or the next day if she forgets. Most of the locals do it, and they pick up other peoples aswell sometimes.
But there are people that just sling it to one side and leave it

I was up at my future in-laws the other weekend, and took a little wander along part of the tissington trail

a dog ran up to me and jumped up just as the owner shouted "NOOO" at it and I firmly said "down" it then ran off to the owner calling it and appologising for the incident.

the owners had been stood reading an information board otherwise they'd have noticed the dog wandering accross to greet me.

its one of those things that from time to time a dog does, it doesn't mean anything by it beyond hello. the owners seemed responsable, grabbing hold of the dog as we wandered back the other way a little later.

when riding on the tissington I've found a bell is advantagous as it signals a polite intent to pass someone

Morrisette said:
+1 OK maybe the dog doesn't by law have to be on a lead, but if you are on a path with other people, small children playing as well as cyclists, and you can't/won't control your dog that's running around, going bonkers back and forth across the path, barking, chasing little kids on their bikes - maybe the law should be changed?? The common sense approach obviously doesn't work. IMO if the path is paved, the dog should be leashed.

Why should the law be changed? To accommodate people who don't like dogs. In the same way perhaps we should accommodate people who don't like cyclists on the road.

There's a big difference between a dog running, as they do and one chasing and hastling people. The latter is out of control the former is not. Provided the owner can get the dog back or on a lead and sometimes that takes time, then it's in control as far as I'm concerned. So you have to wait, tough doggy doo's. Generally walkers/pedestrians have right of way, which means you have to give way.

I find the duplicity of some people's views hard to stomach, especially if the same logic was used against them, they'd be up in arms. Personally I'm fed up with being used as a mobile chicane on a shared use path I use, just F**kin slow down will ya - there, that's my rant.

Also, for info, pedestrians can use cycle paths but the dog has to be on a lead in such circumstances which is different to a bridleway. Same as horse can't use a footpath or cycleway, same as a dog should be on a lead between certain times of the year in open countryside, except if on a public footpath. I mean none of this stuff is hard to find out about, look it up, don't just assume.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
weely said:
Why is it that dog walkers think they have priority on a cycle bridal path??

Because they do.

Highway code regulation 62:
Take care when passing pedestrians, especially children, older or disabled people, and allow them plenty of room. Always be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary.

Top Bottom