A RANT!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

llanberispass

I gave up the Transpennine Trail because of dog walkers - they are on another planet (Planet Selfish).

The really,really, really ^ 23 annoying thing is the number of signs telling cyclists to be considerate to other trail users. If only it was reciprocated.

The smell of dog-shoot in high summer has to be experienced to be believed in places.

515mm

On the shared use cyclepath I use daily, the majority of dog walkers appear responsible. They keep their dogs under control and hold them close as I pass by. I receive a greater proportion of ''hellos'' and ''good mornings'' from the dog walkers than from the cyclists I meet.

This may have something to do with the loud and jolly ''MORNING!'' or ''EVENING!'' that I call out whilst approaching pedestrians/slow cyclists from behind and the cheery ''Hello!'' plus smile that I offer when aproaching from the front. I also say 'Hi' to the dog. I keep my front lamp flashing during times of low light to give peds a fighting chance of spotting me from a distance. It's got to the point where the regulars recognise me, smile and say hello first. Maybe we're lucky over here.

Having said all that, I must admit to feelings of frustration when I see dogs out of control and/or walkers spread out across the entire width of the path. I have found that 'being nice' at someone is a far better way of managing such a scenario than confrontation and I usually receive an apology in such circumstances, but have, on occasion, suggested that a dog lead or four may be in order! Oh, I hardly ever see dogshit or plastic bags full of it either. Lucky me.

You can't legislate against a lack of common sense in someone else - but you can bitch about them to your mates. Vent that spleen!

marooncat

515mm said:
On the shared use cyclepath I use daily, the majority of dog walkers appear responsible. They keep their dogs under control and hold them close as I pass by. I receive a greater proportion of ''hellos'' and ''good mornings'' from the dog walkers than from the cyclists I meet.

Just to save me typing that out again

nigelnorris

I don't get the Trans Pennine Trail comment above. I must have done hundreds of miles on it, and have only ever met respect and good manners from it's other users. People with dogs almost always stand to one side and call their dogs to heel, same with children. Might be an area thing, I've mostly used the stretch 10 miles either side of Warrington and people just seem to be so polite.

Crackle said:
There's a big difference between a dog running, as they do and one chasing and hastling people. The latter is out of control the former is not. Provided the owner can get the dog back or on a lead and sometimes that takes time, then it's in control as far as I'm concerned. So you have to wait, tough doggy doo's. Generally walkers/pedestrians have right of way, which means you have to give way.

Yebbut, you can't always tell the difference. What I mean is, you don't know whether the alsatian pounding towards you is just 'running' or is in fact going to try and rip your arm off. If it's growling and barking, I see that as aggressive. Similarly their favourite trick of running back and forth across the path and then stopping dead in the centre - common sense implies that this is stupid behaviour on a busy path.

I don't care about slowing down/waiting for someone, that's fine, the issue is big dogs whose owners may think they can control, but they are miles away, and if their dog ignores their shouting, there's nothing else they can do about it because they are loose on a path, and therefore NOT in their owners' control.

The area I specifically refer to are the paved paths across the commons/greens in Cambridge - I don't know what they are classified as - I don't think you can ride horses on them though, so they aren't bridle paths. Shared use cycle and footpaths would be my best guess, and therefore leads should be used at busy periods IMO.

Bman

Guru
The last time a came across a dog on a cycle path was when I was going past two pedestrians walking their dogs. The dogs and peds were on the pavement, 4 meters wide of where I was riding. Not on leads. I was cautious, but as they were over the other side of the road, didnt feel the need to slow.

Just as I was coming to pass them, one of the (little) dogs ran right across the cyclepath, so I pulled an emergency stop. The dog (alerted by the skidding sound) just clean took off! The owner called for it to come back, but it carried on running for a good 100meters! I must have scared it a little! :sad:

I did get an apology from the owner though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was out on sunday, and all the dog walkers were very considerate, as was I.

I'd ridden about 6 miles on the canal (3 there and back) early on sunday. I slowed to a crawl when passing, and most of the dog owners would hold or command their dogs. Once I got out into no-mans land - i.e. bridle paths in the hills, I only saw two other folk - a fell runner and a lady walkerg her dog. The fell runner even stopped for me, he was blasting down the trail as I was going up....

PS the only other MTB's I saw were on the canal...what a waste...although most were BSO's tho, and have probably been in bits....

Top Bottom