A real Roller?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I occasionally look at cars I will never be able to afford and this Rolls Royce caught my eye.

A rebuilt 1960s Silver Dawn convertible on sale for a whopping £290,000 - close to the price of a new Rolls drophead.

It has an original Rolls chassis, but I think the Silver Dawns of the period were built on a long wheelbase chassis, whereas this is a short wheelbase one.

It's also not entirely clear to me if it has the correct number of doors.

What I'm trying to get to is is this a real Rolls Royce?

The paint colour is not original, the motor is, but given it's on the wrong chassis most of the side panels are not period correct.

Unkindly, you could describe it as a kit car in the style of a Rolls, a mule with a Rolls radiator plonked on the front.

My guess is anyone looking for a fully restored classic Rolls will not give this car a second glance.

Goodness knows how you price such a vehicle, but £290,000 for something with so much wrong with it looks optimistic.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...vertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&page=1

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It looks like a 1956-ish Silver Cloud I with the roof cut off.
Doesn't look much like a Silver Dawn.

Last edited:

battered

Guru
Questions of originality are always contentious with classic cars, all the more so when you get to RR and the like where so many were coachbuilt to a unique specification. Classic car prices at the moment are stratospheric.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A quick Google suggests there were fewer than 40 coachbuilt Dawns made in the mid-50s.

Thus a 1961 Dawn convertible never existed.

That's probably why the heading of the advert has '61 registered' in brackets.

Which is true, that rolling chassis was registered in 1961, but to describe it as a 1961 Dawn is cheeky, bordering on misrepresentation.

But that's the motor trade for you 'horse trading on four wheels rather than four legs' as an old trader contact of mine described it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Does say it’s an ‘adaptation’. I’m sure Afur Daley would have been proud to offer it. Don’t know who would buy such a motor.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
IDK about all those details about Rolls Royces but what really glared out at me was that it's being sold on autotrader!

I suspect that's a more an indication of the power of autotrader.

It continues to have an enormous slice of used car advertising, although there is now some competition from the likes of Carwow, sites mostly aimed at new or nearly new cars.

It is not a Dawn, it is a Cloud.
Error in the title; in the description it is stated as being a Cloud 2, albeit an adaptation.
It looks 'correct' to me, with possible of exception of rear doors. A more thorough look would determine its originality.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It is not a Dawn, it is a Cloud.
Error in the title; in the description it is stated as being a Cloud 2, albeit an adaptation.
It looks 'correct' to me, with possible of exception of rear doors. A more thorough look would determine its originality.

Now it's starting to make sense.

A Google shows one or two other four doors, although the overwhelming majority have two doors.

There's a few fully restored two doors on offer for similar money, although they might be deemed more valuable to a collector being more 'correct'.

https://www.classic-trader.com/uk/cars/search/rolls-royce/silver-cloud/-/convertible

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I wonder if any modifications were made to the chassis in it's 'adaptation' if they were then I also wonder if it was submitted for IVA

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
1622251601618.png

Heck,it's in yellow:ohmy:,my favourite car colour!!:wub:

Top Bottom