A ride to remember

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Replying to the Preparation thread, I was about to note that sometimes I get to work with no recollection of how I got there. I just havent put any of the routine ride into short term memory even though I am paying attention during the ride. Other rides, even from years ago I can recall in precise detail.
There are even a few rides which I have recalled...before I have even done them, which is totally weird but seems to have happened a couple of times, just small segments, a corner or a view. WTF!

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
How recent is this, and any infection?

Sharky

Guru
Replying to the Preparation thread, I was about to note that sometimes I get to work with no recollection of how I got there. I just havent put any if the routine ride into shirt term memory even though I am paying attention during the ride. Other rides, even from years ago I can recall in precise detail.
There are even a few rides which I have recalled...before I have even done them, which is totally weird but seems to have happened a couple of times, just small segments, a corner or a view. WTF!
I've experienced similar. On a long regular commute I used to do, I'd get to certain points on the route and couldn't recall navigating the earlier sections.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
This sounds very odd, you say you can recall a cycle run through territory you have never visited?
Hasn't this been covered before? (joke ^_^). Sound like Déjà vu - certainly something I've experienced before, many times, the strong feeling that you've experienced the current (or near upcoming) situation before and you know what is going to happen next (and, in some cases, with quite specific detail).

The memory stuff is interesting too, and despite all our progress with computers and technology we're still nowhere near creating anything with the complexity and flexibility of the human mind. An interesting place (well, not always, at work it's pretty much auto-pilot most of the time [and no, I'm not a stick-jockey]). :smile:

snorri

Legendary Member
Hasn't this been covered before? (joke ^_^). Sound like Déjà vu - certainly something I've experienced before, many times, the strong feeling that you've experienced the current (or near upcoming) situation before and you know what is going to happen next (and, in some cases, with quite specific detail).
Ah! yes, I have experienced deja vu, but that happens on the journey IME, and not before the journey even starts which I thought was the condition the the OP was describing.
Anyway this is too complicated for me, I'm opting out at this point:biggrin:

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
... and not before the journey even starts which I thought was the condition the the OP was describing.
Ah, yes, indeed - sorry, my mistake. Must be my short-term memory playing me up. :giggle:

GuyBoden

Guru
Interesting............

"déjà vu for a face may be the result of messages sent from the perirhinal cortex whereas déjà vu for a place may stem from messages relayed from the parahippocampal cortex. Notably, both of these regions send their information to the hippocampus, which supports recollection. So, the full experience of recollection may reflect a combining of converging signals from both perirhinal and parahippocampal areas to the hippocampus."

"parahippocampal cortex shows activity changes when people distinguish familiar buildings from those they are seeing for the first time."

The experts here:
http://www.brainfacts.org/about-neuroscience/ask-an-expert/articles/2014/what-causes-deja-vu/
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ulterior-motives/201001/what-is-d-j-vu

Last edited:
Top Bottom