A Roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Crankarm said:
I don't see the attraction of cycling along a busy A road with traffic thundering past just because you can. I try to avoid them preferring quieter B or country roads. Call me old fashioned or scared of big roads full of speeding motons when on a bike, but that's just me. It's got me to the age I am having cycled most of my life.

TT rider Major Rhys Evans was killed on the A1 in Bedfordshire earlier this year, hit by a car, the driver a dozy young cow, as he crossed the entrance/exit for a slip road. Wouldn't get me cycling down a road like that even on a quiet sunday morning. It's scary enough in a car.

It's not that I like A roads (well I do a few), just that there really aren't any alternatives sometimes. For example there are a couple of east-west roads here that have horrific safety records but involve detours of a gigantic number of miles. I'm well aware that I could be killed on them at any time but the same is true to a lesser extent in a car. I can see how these accidents happen as one the bike you have to dart out of the way as someone overtakes coming in the other way in a completely inappropriate place. When these go wrong that's presumably where the multiple fatality head on smash accidents in cars come from.

Dave5N

Über Member
jimboalee said:
I worked in Central Birmingham for several years.

My journey home was round Queensway, over the Lancaster Circus viaduct and then off round 'The beam engine' island and onto Lichfield Rd.

One afternoon, deep in thought about a car I had just prep'ed for testing the following morning, I found myself on the A38(M) Aston Expressway.

Realising my error, I dismounted at the Victoria Rd entrance and walked my bike up the 'on-ramp' back to the minor roads where I belong.

:biggrin:

I have done the same thing!

jimboalee

There HAVE BEEN cyclists killed on fast A roads.

There have been cyclists killed in country lanes when young motor car drivers are playing 'rallying' in their souped-up Novas and Fiestas.

There have been cyclists killed on B roads in town when drivers SMIDSY and then find the cyclist cannot hear their appology.

There have been cyclists killed on quiet unclassified town streets due to other SMIDSYs who were looking for a shop they heared was having a sale.

There have been cyclists killed on busy town streets by articulated trucks sweeping round a left turn.

I go out on my bike with the knowledge ANY other roaduser could end my life.
Does it deter me? No.

jimboalee

on the road said:
It is quite safe as long as you know the dangers and know how to deal with them.

The 'danger' is a motorist looking at something else other than you, and then hitting you right up the rear.
The way to deal with this is to NOT ride a bike.

viniga

Guru
WeeE said:
Wow, it looks lovely! Is it actually linked up sensibly? Does the cycle lane go through junctions without suddenly disappearig? Will they maintain it?

Hope so!

A lot of club cyclists use this road as do I. However; not many of them use the cycle lane. As cycle lanes go it's quite good but it has the normal issues:

1. Forcing you back onto the A-road at choke points - not good for visibility
  2. Has more crud on it that the A-road which is swept by cars - so punctures are more likely on the cycle lane
  3. Markings indicate that at all junctions the cyclist is supposed to give way (to traffic joining the A-road). I have right of way on the main A-road
But the main reason the A-road is now great to cycle on is that since they built the motorway alongside car drivers don't use it and so it's really quiet!

I have experience of cycling on a variety of A-roads and agree with the posters who say they all differ. Busy ones which involve cars at high speed, i.e. 70mph + I tend to avoid. Local knowledge and confidence in your cycling ability will help you overcome A-road obstacles.

Viniga

soulful dog

Veteran
Has anyone cycled along the A74 Hamilton Rd/Glasgow Rd near the M73/M74 junction. I don't fancy cycling along a dual carriageway with a national speed limit, but apart from using the cycle path I don't see any other route to go along that way? There is the cycle path along to Uddingston but it's a bit of a detour.

Weegie

soulful dog said:
Has anyone cycled along the A74 Hamilton Rd/Glasgow Rd near the M73/M74 junction.

Yes, I use it quite often, but only off-peak & in good weather. I personally wouldn't use it with heavy traffic or poor visibility - too much fast impatient traffic heading for the M73/M74 junctions for my liking. I happily confess that I occasionally use the pavement on the north side (which hasn't seen a pedestrian in 20 years) if I am concerned about my personal safety.

There is the cycle path along to Uddingston but it's a bit of a detour.
Interesting, I didn't know there was a cycle path. Where exactly is it?

[Edit - if you mean Route 75 Carmyle-Uddingston, that can be a bit scrappy in places, I'd carry two spare tubes if using it regularly]

soulful dog

Veteran
Cheers Weegie after reading your post I went down and had a look this morning. I used the pavement going and as it was fairly quiet, stayed on the road on the way back. It's not as fast for as long as I thought it was going to be, so that's fine, I now have another direction to explore. And yes, I did mean the NCN75 route, I've twice used it and both times got lost in Uddingston, heading along the A74 will be easier!

MrRidley

soulful dog said:
Has anyone cycled along the A74 Hamilton Rd/Glasgow Rd near the M73/M74 junction. I don't fancy cycling along a dual carriageway with a national speed limit, but apart from using the cycle path I don't see any other route to go along that way? There is the cycle path along to Uddingston but it's a bit of a detour.

That road is not bad at all, i use it almost every day, plenty of room for everyone, but if you still dont fancy it use Tollcross road, it still leads you onto Hamilton rd and it's a bit more quieter, on nice summer days or evenings plenty of club guys use London road for speed trials.

soulful dog

Veteran
Cheers bhoyjim but I mean further along as you pass Daldowie Crematorium. I was looking for a way to head out to Hamilton but saw the national speed limit signs on that bit so gave it a wide berth, but it seems as if the pavement that runs along the north side of the road is useable until the speed limit drops back down a little further along.

MrRidley

SD, i have used that bit you are talking about to go to Hamilton many a time, it is not to bad at all, it maybe just requires a bit more confidence on your part, just keep to a good position were you can be well seen, if you are still not keen you could always go through Coatbridge, then down through Bargeddie which brings you out past that section, look on Google maps for the route, it's a longer route but avoids the busy bit.

kewb

viniga said:
A lot of club cyclists use this road as do I. However; not many of them use the cycle lane. As cycle lanes go it's quite good but it has the normal issues:

1. Forcing you back onto the A-road at choke points - not good for visibility
  2. Has more crud on it that the A-road which is swept by cars - so punctures are more likely on the cycle lane
  3. Markings indicate that at all junctions the cyclist is supposed to give way (to traffic joining the A-road). I have right of way on the main A-road
But the main reason the A-road is now great to cycle on is that since they built the motorway alongside car drivers don't use it and so it's really quiet!

I have experience of cycling on a variety of A-roads and agree with the posters who say they all differ. Busy ones which involve cars at high speed, i.e. 70mph + I tend to avoid. Local knowledge and confidence in your cycling ability will help you overcome A-road obstacles.

Viniga

couple of pics
http://i49.tinypic.com/wrystu.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2vjx44o.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/207qow4.jpg

Top Bottom