A sad and tragic story

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kapelmuur

Veteran
A few months ago a cyclist named Paul Ingels contacted me via Strava to suggest that I might like to join the Strava over 70 group, as I record on Strave as 'David (1947)' he had correctly deduced that I was over 70.

I joined and also started to follow Paul, he lived in California and like to post photos of his rides which were generally through lovely scenery of mountains, lakes and rivers with a background of perfect blue skies. A very welcome antidote to the long grey winter we were experiencing in the UK.

He obviously loved his cycling had had recently taken delivery of a new carbon framed road bike which he was happy with.

On Sunday a Strava entry appeared under his name, title 'my final ride'. In it his son wrote that Paul had been hit by a car while out riding and had died instantly.

I didn't know the man, but the tragic unfair randomness of his fate has affected me deeply, it could happen to any of us

Slick

Guru
Yeah, tough one even if it is a stranger. It is very sad, and without sounding flippant, if we thought of all the things that could finish us off, we wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

Make no mistake, I'd be devastated if I was even injured doing anything let alone worse.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
That really is a sad ending to your friendship: it was a friendship, though you never met him in person.
Rip, Californian Cyclist Paul.

That goes to show, that it really is easy to end up on the wrong side of a nasty accident. Cycling is still statistically one of the safer activities you can do, but it’s certainly not risk free.

Mrs M

Guru
That’s really sad

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Don't want to like your post as it doesn't seem right to :sad: RIP Paul. The internet is a great thing for connecting people & sometimes it is possible to feel close to someone without even meeting them. I have a couple of people from here as friends on facebook & I've never met them in person
I'd only ever met the great Vernon once, but was very sad to hear of his departure, he was a great guy & sure he's still missed on here by those that did & didn't meet him
I know that there's a very small chance of it happening everytime I go out, I've told my wife that if it does ever happen, at least I will have died doing something that I enjoy rather than dying at work, hopefully she can take a little comfort in that fact :blush:

IBarrett

Über Member
A very sad story.
But if it’s any consolation, I don’t think any of us would complain about living a long life and going quickly doing the thing we love than a lot of the alternatives.

Slick

Guru
A very sad story.
But if it’s any consolation, I don’t think any of us would complain about living a long life and going quickly doing the thing we love than a lot of the alternatives.
I think that's exactly right. I remember years ago hearing of an old boy who dropped on the golf course and I thought it must have been terrible for all concerned. Fast forward a few years on and a bit of life experience tell you different.

Top Bottom