A sad day yesterday ... another cyclist killed on our roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkers

Veteran
Tragedy struck yesterday as cyclist Helen Renton was killed in a collision with a car. Helen leaves 3 children. There are ongoing campaigns for road safety, and the government claim to favour cycling. Why the lack of progress? What do we need to do to force change?
helen renton.jpg

Tragedy struck yesterday as cyclist Helen Renton was killed in a collision with a car. Helen leaves 3 children. There are ongoing campaigns for road safety, and the government claim to favour cycling. Why the lack of progress? What do we need to do to force change? View attachment 583704
As with most road safety issues in the UK, it seems the only wsy to force it is to die in greater numbers...
RIP.

OP
OP
monkers

monkers

Veteran
As with most road safety issues in the UK, it seems the only wsy to force it is to die in greater numbers...
RIP.

I don't think you are just being cynical. but probably close to the truth. You'd think these numbers from RoSPA would be enough to drive change.

accident rates.JPG

OP
OP
monkers

monkers

Veteran
Dumfries Galloway Police Division
tSpondsgorf14edsh ·

Fatal RTC - A710, Southwick, Dumfries

Police Scotland is appealing for witnesses after a fatal crash near Dumfries.

The incident happened at around 1.05pm on Sunday, 11 April, 2021 on the A710 near Southwick.

A white Peugeot van travelling west was involved in a crash with a cyclist riding a black Trek bicycle which was heading east at Southwick Bridge.

Emergency services attended and 44-year-old Helen Renton from Dumfries was pronounced dead at the scene. Her next of kin has been informed.

The driver and passenger from the van were both uninjured.

The road was closed for approximately 9 hours for collision investigations to be carried out at the scene.

Sergeant Leigh McCulloch from Police Scotland’s Road Policing Unit based in Lockerbie said:

“Tragically as a result of this crash the cyclist has lost her life and our thoughts at this time are with her family and friends.

“Several people stopped to help at the scene and our inquiries continue to establish what happened. I’d ask anyone who saw the crash to get in touch with officers as a priority to help our investigation.

“I’d ask anyone who was recording with dash cam on the A710 who may have captured either the van or bicycle prior to the crash, to check their systems and provide officers with any relevant footage as soon as possible.”

Those with information should report this to Police Scotland on 101 and quote incident number 1688 of 11 April 2021

C R

Guru
For anything to change there has to be meaningful traffic enforcement. As there isn't, things will continue to get worse, 😢.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This is so sad.

Interested to note the police referring to a crash. I strongly object to "accident" being used to describe collisions between road users as "accidents" when the vast majority are probably due to lack of concentration, poor driving, intoxicants etc. and all are entirely preventable.

Accidents occur as the result of the unexpected not what is easily anticipated.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Truly, truly tragic, RIP Helen Renton.

This is so sad.
Interested to note the police referring to a crash. I strongly object to "accident" being used to describe collisions between road users as "accidents" when the vast majority are probably due to lack of concentration, poor driving, intoxicants etc. and all are entirely preventable.

Accidents occur as the result of the unexpected not what is easily anticipated.
Indeed, and guidance went out to Police forces a long, long time ago now (I can't be sure of exact date but around early 2000s if I recall correctly?) that officers were to cease using Road Traffic Accident for precisely that reason, i.e. that in almost all collisions, there was someone at fault. The adopted phrase was then "Road Traffic Incident" or RTI, which quite soon after became "Road Traffic Collision" or RTC. As far as I know "collision" and "in collision with" are the correct terms. I'm surprised to see "crash" used throughout the appeal verbiage but I've not been in that line of work for a while now so it could have come back into use.

Top Bottom