A safer helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt2matt2002

Are all helmets equally safe?
If they meet the British safety mark then are they all the same?
I don,t, mind spending a bit extra but want one that is extra safe.
A good fit and wearing it properly is of course essential but I wondered if some makes are safer than others?
Thanx folks

BSRU

A Human Being
There is a higher standard called the Snell standard which I know some(maybe all) Specialized helmets conform to.

Kolo%20popcorm2.gif

Are all helmets equally safe?
If they meet the British safety mark then are they all the same?

No

I don,t, mind spending a bit extra but want one that is extra safe.

No need you can buy a Snell B90 for £30

A good fit and wearing it properly is of course essential but I wondered if some makes are safer than others?
Thanx folks

Good start!

Snell B90 certified, comfortable an fits well is the way forward[/quote][/quote]

sabian92

Über Member
Personally you don't have to spend a fortune on a lid. Helmets for a 100 quid are silly money. There's a point when it becomes a case of paying more because you can afford to, but not always getting more protection.

I've got a Bell Venture which is a 25 quid lid and I'm happy. Not a lot of point paying over a ton for a lid unless you REALLY want it.

If you want a higher rated one, that's fine but it doesn't have to break the bank.

Hawk

Veteran
That makes interesting reading. So, if you're going to wear a helmet because you hope it might make a difference and save your life in a crash (rather than just because your OH is nagging you to), it makes sense to buy Specialized.

They are the only Snell B90 helmets I could find via google. Surprised more manufacturers haven't clocked that many people want a "safer" helmet than just EN1078 or whatever it is.

That said, my Specialized Helmet did come stickered as being compliant with the lesser EN standard - probably because they need to have it certified to *that* standard to sell it as a "cycle helmet" here, despite passing the more stringent B90 certification required in other regions.

They are the only Snell B90 helmets I could find via google. Surprised more manufacturers haven't clocked that many people want a "safer" helmet than just EN1078 or whatever it is.

That said, my Specialized Helmet did come stickered as being compliant with the lesser EN standard - probably because they need to have it certified to *that* standard to sell it as a "cycle helmet" here, despite passing the more stringent B90 certification required in other regions.

You are correct, EN1078 is required for sale in the UK, but most will also display the other tests passed.

If that fails then research the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom