A second set of wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Royalrider

After months of research I have finally been measured for and ordered a VN Amazon from Mr Hewitt. I decided to go for a wheel built by him based on a DRC touring rim, on his recommendation. Because of the type of places I ride I opted for 28c gatorskin tyres as a compromise between 60% road 40% trail.

So! When the warm sunny days re-appear and I want to go out for a faster road only ride do I simply get a slimmer tyre and swap over or invest in another set of wheels and if so would I buy another cassette (105 10 speed) or swap that across? Is that hard to do ?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Swapping cassettes is easy - 5 minutes at most using a cassette tool, chain whip and spanner. If you do decide on two cassettes (one for each set of wheels) remember that you'll need two chains as well (one for each cassette) as the cassettes will wear at different rates.

Swapping tyres is a bit more of a pain, and I'd go for the second option (another set of wheels - get them built up for your road riding and put a decent 23 tyre on them).

GrahamG

Guru
If you've already got 28's on, I simply wouldn't bother swapping - maybe just up the pressure a little. There's really not going to be a huge amount of difference in rolling resistance, although I know that a lighter wheel rim/spokes will make a fair difference is it worth it if you're not competing?

Top Bottom