A seriously gorgeous curly Hetchins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wrote an article about my old Viking for @Andrew_Culture 's Veloballs site (Here's the link http://veloballs.com/original-viking/ ) but this post isn't to plug that exactly.... but I posted a link to facebook and tagged a mate in (in the article he's the one who gave me the crank for it) and he replied back 'I've still got my Hetchins' and he posted a photo ......

with his permission here it is.... It is as gorgeous as I remember and I haven't seen it since the 80's...................
10462452_750052728350047_5415812038751036273_n.jpg

And no..... @biggs682 it isn't for sale I've already asked (even though I think I would have to sell everything I own to get anywhere near its worth.......)

Last edited:

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Very nice indeed. Needs a Brooks saddle on there though!:whistle:

OP
OP
simon the viking
Very nice indeed. Needs a Brooks saddle on there though!:whistle:
I sent a link to him of this thread and He's just replied to it through my facebook page...... He's still got the Brooks seat but it's too uncomfortable for him now days.....

:laugh: classic!!!!!

EDIT: If you are reading this again Bod :hello:.... You really need to join this forum.... your bike shows you have the right credentials

Last edited:
You know what, I am told that those Curly Hetchins don't ride that well, but I have no first hand knowledge.

On the other hand, you mentioned Vikings, and they do ride well. just been reading the blog, and apart from a 20 year age difference (at least) my story is similar. I was bought one of the last of the line Severn Valleys for passing my O levels just as the Wolverhampton production was ending. I rode this on a fixed as I couldn't afford gears, but this didn't stop me envying the more affluent who had Simplex gears, or the demi-gods with (drool) Campagnolo Grand Sport. There was even something called Campag Record, but that was a week's wages to even think about.
I rode huge distances on my Severn Valley - as far as Germany once all on my 65 inch fixed, but it was stolen when I was at university.
I bought a Londonderry-built Vision in 1979 to replace it, but still hankered for a Severn Valley again.
When I retired, I had money and time to realise that ambition and built up a Campag everything Severn Valley which comes out on special days only. Sadly (maybe) the modern carbon Bianchi I ride is superior in almost every way. It also takes the hammering from our 3rd World roads and has readily available components if I trash them. Not so easy to get hold of a Regina Oro freewheel block!
I also have my father's Higgins Ultralight from 1949 and the Mercian-framed Sid Mottram I bought second hand in Leicester when my original Severn Valley was stolen.
Since retirement I have done more miles that all the years between university and retirement put together. I hope it is keeping the heart surgeon at bay!

OP
OP
simon the viking
You know what, I am told that those Curly Hetchins don't ride that well, but I have no first hand knowledge.

On the other hand, you mentioned Vikings, and they do ride well. just been reading the blog, and apart from a 20 year age difference (at least) my story is similar. I was bought one of the last of the line Severn Valleys for passing my O levels just as the Wolverhampton production was ending. I rode this on a fixed as I couldn't afford gears, but this didn't stop me envying the more affluent who had Simplex gears, or the demi-gods with (drool) Campagnolo Grand Sport. There was even something called Campag Record, but that was a week's wages to even think about.
I rode huge distances on my Severn Valley - as far as Germany once all on my 65 inch fixed, but it was stolen when I was at university.
I bought a Londonderry-built Vision in 1979 to replace it, but still hankered for a Severn Valley again.
When I retired, I had money and time to realise that ambition and built up a Campag everything Severn Valley which comes out on special days only. Sadly (maybe) the modern carbon Bianchi I ride is superior in almost every way. It also takes the hammering from our 3rd World roads and has readily available components if I trash them. Not so easy to get hold of a Regina Oro freewheel block!
I also have my father's Higgins Ultralight from 1949 and the Mercian-framed Sid Mottram I bought second hand in Leicester when my original Severn Valley was stolen.
Since retirement I have done more miles that all the years between university and retirement put together. I hope it is keeping the heart surgeon at bay!

I Really SOOOOOOOO wish I hadn't sold mine...... I have even thought about putting a plea out in the local press to find it, hopefully it hasn't been skipped......

As you say modern bikes are far superior but........

OP
OP
simon the viking
i have only ever seen one in the flesh.......
just could not justify the £1000
I think the story behind this one is that his dad bought it as 'shed find' for my mate when he was early teens in early 80's and they restored it together, I think its quite a small adult frame as he was riding it aged 14... I never even thought about asking to ride it because I knew even back then it was something special....

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
A quick note on riding them...........I've read a couple and they feel no different to other bikes :smile: It's the same with Bates Diadrent forks, close your eyes and they work just the same. Ask Pinarello LOL

Shaun

PS CampyOldy has Regina ORO blocks in stock :smile:

OP
OP
simon the viking
A quick note on riding them...........I've read a couple and they feel no different to other bikes :smile: It's the same with Bates Diadrent forks, close your eyes and they work just the same. Ask Pinarello LOL

Shaun

PS CampyOldy has Regina ORO blocks in stock :smile:
Your probably right to be honest... but they look fab.....

raindog

er.....
......and the Mercian-framed Sid Mottram I bought second hand in Leicester when my original Severn Valley was stolen.
Bloody hell, Sid Mottram, that brought memories back! Being from just outside Derby, I always rode Mercians as a lad, and occasionally on saturday mornings I would ride to Leicester and back just so that I could stare in through the window of Mottram's shop. Never bought owt there though. ^_^

Top Bottom