A Shiny Thing I Built: Look Upon My Works, Ye Mighty...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Well - it's both a surprise and a relief to get such positive responses to my little exercise in absurdity! Cheers! ^_^

Setup was really straightforward - everything goes together, adjusts & works as you'd expect. In the past I've found setting up SRAM to be less finicky than Shimano and this (being a total knockoff) appears to have inherited that - other than a couple of cable tension tweaks, nothing's required fettling since assembling it.

The bar tape is a bit odd! The pics don't do it justice though - it's colour-changing, iridescent & reflective, and changes from different angles & under different light. I've honestly never seen anything like it. Which may or may not be a good thing. It was a bit of a pain to fit - it's not particularly flexible & fairly thick and was impossible to get as tidy a finish as I'd prefer at the bar ends. It's also not a texture you'd want to hold onto all day (quite slippery) which it's why it's on the drops. Where I seldom am...

I watched his vids when doing research about the Sensah stuff - there's really very little info out there. As he said, the plastic actuating lever that's prone to breaking has been updated to a metal component - when I ordered, I was basically crossing my fingers that mine wouldn't be turn out to old stock, & fortunately they do have the uprated part.
I’m quite intrigued to see how this pans out over time, I hope you can keep updating the thread as time goes on, the bike looks really good.

OP
OP
Xipe Totec

Xipe Totec

Frrrg rrrrf yrrrr crrrnds
I’m quite intrigued to see how this pans out over time, I hope you can keep updating the thread as time goes on, the bike looks really good.
Will do - although I'll probably use it a bit less over the winter, so my old Boardman CX hack doesn't get jealous!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Last edited:
OP
OP
Xipe Totec

Xipe Totec

the pro wheel chainring on my commuter lasted a year , you can buy a new ring for a similar amount is all im saying
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...52545031-04066-UneMJZVf&device=c&gclsrc=aw.ds
As far as I can see it doesn't look like replacement rings are available for these RaceWork/LitePro/whatever AliExpress things - they're a single unit with both rings machined from a single chunk of alu & attached using that SRAM 3-bolt centre fixing. What's interesting is that my suspicions about its durability come from my experience with a Prowheel triple I had on a Decathlon Triban about 10 years ago - think I got about 3000 miles out of the rings on that, if I was lucky.

If they do turn out to be cheese I suppose I could use SRAM rings - but when replacement with cranks that look like this are available, why would I do that?

H42af3373dbcd4171baa0034051074bb0t.jpg

Actually, my mouse is hovering over the 'buy' button right now... :ph34r:

Dale 1956

Wow nice build.I love building a new bicycle it makes me feel good.

OP
OP
Xipe Totec

Xipe Totec

This is probably due an update!

Not put a huge amount of miles on this as it has to share me with two other bikes & Zwift, but around 1100 miles later, the only cheapo original part to give up the ghost is the BB, the left side bearing having become rough & noisy approaching the 1000 mile mark. Quick & cheap to replace with a Shimano Tiagra.

Everything else still going strong & working properly, although the rear mech cable has needed a bit more regular tensioning than I'm used to. It's the original cable supplied with the mech so may not be the best quality & the heavy spring in the mech itself probably doesn't help. I have a spare in my toolbag but will replace it anyway, next time the bike gets an overhaul.

Aesthetically, the bling oilslick finish on the front bottle cage is flaking & the alloy underneath appears corroded - but that's cheap shiny rubbish for you. Likewise the ridiculous reflective rainbow bar tape on the drops has started splitting, presumably due to the material hardening & cracking where it's stretched. So that's going in the bin.

Otherwise all looking good, will post some pics once it's had a hose-down & new bar tape.

OP
OP
Xipe Totec

Xipe Totec

Oh wow. That's a funky seatpost indeed.

Is 80 a bit high for 32mms ? I'm running my contis at 50 on the front and 60 on the back. No issues with them in a few years.

Top Bottom