A short tour of the Somme and Oise and Seine-Maritime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My long tours are on hold at the moment due to a combination of circumstances.
I've managed to wangle a short tour of 5 days, taking the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry tomorrow morning.
The minimum I'm hoping for is some relatively dry weather, some beer, some food. Everything else is a bonus.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
:popcorn: keep us entertained and updated then.

Brandane

Legendary Member
My long tours are on hold at the moment due to a combination of circumstances.
I've managed to wangle a short tour of 5 days, taking the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry tomorrow morning.
The minimum I'm hoping for is some relatively dry weather, some beer, some food. Everything else is a bonus.
I was there just over a year ago. There is some nice cycling in the area around Amiens if that's the direction you're heading in (especially to the west of Amiens towards Albert and Bapaume on the cycle path along the Somme taking you out of Amiens and then a network of minor roads). There is an "Avenue Verte" cycle route from Dieppe to Amiens, and a cycle route from Amiens to Abbeville, a long section of which is off road on a good quality path along the banks of the Somme. Bound to be lots on just now to mark the century since the start of the Battle of the Somme. The Military Cemeteries in the area are numerous and sobering.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
So far, so good. I queued up for the ferry behind 50 middle-aged Hell's Angels; all very well behaved of course, but those Harleys make a hell of a din on the car deck. Beautiful, rural ride through impossibly picturesque deserted villages to a chi chi B&B in Eu (which the UK ain't!) Off to find a restaurant showing the Welsh game with luck. Oh, and a beer or two...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've often pondered a long weekend there - Dieppe to Treport, then to Forges Les Eaux and back to Dieppe along the converted railway line.
*envies some more*

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've often pondered a long weekend there - Dieppe to Treport, then to Forges Les Eaux and back to Dieppe along the converted railway line.
*envies some more*
That's more or less what I'm doing, Doc. Via Amiens and somewhere else, for an extra day or two. And a garden visit en route. If the weather behaves it's a lovely unsung area innit?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I really like the way you've planned it neatly to go there when the area will be all but deserted :smile:.
Sheer coincidence and ignorance - no surprise there then! Although, in truth, there's been no sign of anything going on. Rather the reverse, as is often the case in France.

Top Bottom