A short Video about cycling around HGV's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZD1Bmeu6LM
( still processing at time of posting)

Both incidences recorded on one commute to work. With the pick up in weather we are seeing more and more cyclists in london at peak times, it's great that they are getting out and getting fit. BUT some of them are taking risks that should be avoided and i thought it was best to make a short video.. I hope most of the long time commuters don't learn anything from this ;)

chap

Veteran
Nice video.

Perhaps its just the way it looks, but the first instance has you going straight for the undertake of the HGV. Although I imagine that it was just stopping and that you judged that it was not going to turn left. I'm not a fan of HGVs and in such an instance I would have probably have held back until I knew it was not going left, then again, it's just the way it looks and obviously in the actual situation everything probably seemed much more obvious.

I understand that he is signalling right, I just have little faith in many drivers (esp. truck drivers) as many do indicate inappropriately or make last minute stupid decisions.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
good vid Gaz.

I think that patch of road is right only iirc as there's no option to go left.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
chap said:
Nice video.

Perhaps its just the way it looks, but the first instance has you going straight for the undertake of the HGV. Although I imagine that it was just stopping and that you judged that it was not going to turn left. I'm not a fan of HGVs and in such an instance I would have probably have held back until I knew it was not going left, then again, it's just the way it looks and obviously in the actual situation everything probably seemed much more obvious.

I understand that he is signalling right, I just have little faith in many drivers (esp. truck drivers) as many do indicate inappropriately or make last minute stupid decisions.

There are roadworks just after the junction that shuts the 3 lanes into 1. The HGV is indicating right to go into that one remaining lane.

And this is exactly why i suggest that you make sure there is plenty of space between you and it... i'm going to get away from the lights a lot quicker than he is, and i'm more visible being that far ahead.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think Gaz was right about the second clip - although it's unlikely the truck is going to turn left there, it might do a Reston Waste incident.

Jezston

Über Member
Good vids - just a couple of suggestions to improve them:

Bit too much text and they don't stay visible for long enough - if you want to make this a proper educational vid, I'd have the text on screen longer - perhaps pausing the vid at the same time so you aren't trying to fast-read the text AND watch the action at the same time.

Last bit of text doesn't appear to make any sense.

139NI

Well done Gaz - i will show this to my partner.

you dont know it but you may have saved a few people.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
User3143 said:
You are over reacting with the second vid, you can see the lights change as you go around the bend. What the cyclist done was not that bad, with the bus moving over the right they had plenty of room. People that drive for M&S/Gist are the best drivers as well.:biggrin:

What I would have done with the first vid though - good advice.

Yeah i wasn't posting it as OH MY GOD HOW COULD THEY, but more it's not something that is advised.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It's a bus lane, i couldn't see a bus in it when i went towards it. why not use it?
I did exactly the same thing yesterday (and the funny thing is the exact same M&S HGV was there again) but this time it was free and i cycled right to the front of the queue without having to squeeze past cars.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
There are four lanes before and after the junction - which middle lane do you mean?

If you meant the middle of the three lanes excluding the bus lane, then that's the wrong lane for Gaz's straight on at the junction after his, he'd have to negotiate back to the second or first nearside lane after the junction in this clip. If you meant the middle lane as in the one the M&S lorry is in, then I don't understand that.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
User3143 said:
You can see the lights change as you come around the corner, I would off gone straight down the middle lane.

aaaah i see now, don't forget that what that camera see's is not what i'm looking at. So i honestly didn't know that the lights had changed.

Top Bottom