A single, weatherproof cover for two bicycles - suggestion please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dac

Hi,
I have an XL hybrid and a Medium hybrid. They are currently in the shed, protected from the elements. I would like to free up the space in the shed and store both bikes outside. I was thinking about purchasing a motorcycle cover, or something similar, that would fit over both bikes.

Has anyone else had this thought and how did it work out? Did your bikes stays rust-free and fine after a winter under the cover?
Can anyone recommend a suitable cover? Nothing too expensive or flash - it just needs to protect the bikes?
The bikes will be positioned behind the shed, standing on flint. Does anyone know of any concerns with doing this?

I just don't want to entrust a cover to protect the bikes only to find that after 5 months of winter weather, the bikes have corroded/rusted?
Thanks.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've had one of these over my Raleigh Pioneer, which lives outside, for the three years: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mountain...e-Double-Triple-Cycle-Protection/154020005414

No issues with rust or other aspects but where it's stored it's out of the worst weather. Cost about £12 for a double cover.

I've a storage unit for most of my bikes, which will take 12 bikes, that's dry and secure.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Those noodle bits on hybrid brakes always seem to rust no matter what.
I think you'll always get rust on bare steel if you keep the bike outside.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
BTR extra large has ample room for two bikes and is really durable and well made.
Not cheap at about £35, but it will last for years.

mikeIow

Guru
Surely an excuse to build another (or bigger) shed!
I'd be amazed if rust didn't start forming on bikes stored outside.
I assume security isn't a big concern?
2 pals keep theirs in an chunky Asgard bike store like this bolted down on their front drive - very secure, but also a tad expensive I see.
If you can fit another 6x4 shed in, I would do that....

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks all for your replies.

@Cycleops - what are the noodle bits you're referring to?
This is what is known as a 'noodle' on V brakes.

T4tomo

Guru
Do you not have a partner / family who could sleep outside to make room for your bikes?

Top Bottom